This is a load of fringing shit. Don't accidentally delete a little icon. To show the desktop in OSX is basic (and you cant accidentally delete any button). Yet in Windows, wow, what a hassle. Such a basic operation yet so difficult to do. If anyone has ever got the below to work then do please let me know because I can't get it to work. All I want to do is see my desktop at the click of a button. Why is that so hard? I hate Windows. Just finding this crap in the help system took 30 minutes. It is clearly written by a computer-head for a computer-head.

Quote:
How to re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch bar

This article was previously published under Q190355

INTRODUCTION

This article describes how to re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar. You may want to use this method if the Show Desktop icon has been deleted.

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION

The Show Desktop icon is not an ordinary program shortcut. If the icon is deleted, the procedure for re-creating the icon is not obvious. To re-create the Show Desktop icon, follow these steps: 1. Click Start , click Run, type notepad, and then click OK.

2. In Notepad, type the following text on individual lines:

[shell]

Command=2

IconFile=explorer.exe,3

[Taskbar]

Command=ToggleDesktop

3. Click File, click Save As, and then save the file to your desktop as Show Desktop.scf.

Note Notepad may automatically append a .txt extension to the file name. Remove this extension if present. The file name should be Show Desktop.scf.

The file must now be moved to the correct folder in the user profile to appear in the Quick Launch toolbar. To do this, use one of the following methods.

Back to the top

Method 1

1. Use the mouse to drag the Show Desktop.scf icon to the Quick Launch toolbar or another location where you want the shortcut to appear.

2. Click Move Here.

Back to the top

Method 2

1. Use Windows Explorer to locate the following folders:

Microsoft Windows 95 and Microsoft Windows 98

Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Microsoft Windows NT, Microsoft Windows 2000, and Microsoft Windows XP

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Note Username refers to the account name where you want to put the icon.

2. Use the mouse to drag the Show Desktop.scf file to the Quick Launch folder.

3. Click Move Here.

Note By default, the Application Data folder for Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP is a hidden folder. You may have to unhide this folder by using the Advanced Settings in Internet Explorer. Click the Show hidden files and folders option.

Back to the top

Another irritation with Windows is the seemingly endless instances of a folder called My Documents. Its bloody everywhere and not always is it the same folder. Something so simple yet beyond Microsoft. How can an operating system allow multiple instances of a folder called My Documents? Or multiple instances of very similar folders, eg:

My Documents (instance 1)

My Documents (instance 2, in the C drive)

le Spuds Documents

Documents and Settings

I hate Windows, but now feel a lot better.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
How can an operating system allow multiple instances of a folder called My Documents? Or multiple instances of very similar folders, eg:

My Documents (instance 1)
My Documents (instance 2, in the C drive)
le Spuds Documents
Documents and Settings

I hate Windows, but now feel a lot better.
Xp is a multi user operating suystem, maybe that is the reason for many instances of My Documents folder, one for each user created?

i don't like the way XP makes My Whatever folders either, and i have been fighting them for years. i finally gave up and organized my docs, music and pictures in "My Folderes"

i get less stressed.. And don't worry Spud, i am not going to start bashing iTunes

Turning off my computer and remembering that there was something I forgot to do and having to go through the turning the thing on routing. That always annoys me a lot.

Actually computers annoy me a lot generally.

I don't like the way "hoken" is used in Japanese. Aside from conventional "insurance", it can also mean savings plans or pensions that have no insurance component at all. It makes it hard to know what people are on about when they give it the "get hoken" mantra.

Text messages sent by people who assume that you are able or willing to decipher the cretinous drivel that is textspeak.

I think Ive achieved grumpy old fart status early

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
Turning off my computer and remembering that there was something I forgot to do and having to go through the turning the thing on routing. That always annoys me a lot.

Actually computers annoy me a lot generally.
ditto!!!
 Quote:
Text messages sent by people who assume that you are able or willing to decipher the cretinous drivel that is textspeak.
I'll modify that to....

Text messages.
And watching the zombies do them on the train.

Le Spud, I had the same problem but never managed to find the instructions you found.... I just followed the ones you pasted here and it worked for me.

will keep it in mind, but in 10 years none of my regular email contacts have complained about it, so for now I'll assume they don't have a problem with it. Anyway I hear what you're saying ;\)

Got to admit I don't like that either, makes things look like spam. Even though sometimes it is difficult to know what to put in there.

I know a guy who runs a fairly popular (non--commercial) website in the UK and he says they get so much junk they ignore/delete mails that have no subject lines.

Man, it must be noise pollution day today. It started at 8, with our local temple amplifying crap music over the neighbourhood. Then at 10 the builders turned up with a crane. They're fastening a roof ladder to the house, right outside my window, so there's hammer drills going. There's a truck cruising around with drummer and more amplified musical crap. Now the effing fire brigade are out for a cruise with the bells going.

Another driving one.

Driving on a narrow road with someone in front of you going at between 0 and 10kmh - they're obviously looking for somewhere and starting and stopping every 10 meters or so, usually suddenly and totally oblivious to the fact that someone is behind them.

Oh yes I know them.

We had one of those noise days on Sunday. Started at 6am, by 8am there was a van going round with a loudspeaker - which much have been at full volume, it was piercing - trying to flog/buy old bikes from the sound of it.