• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright, another driving one. In winter people in town shovel the snow off their sidewalk and onto the road. I realize the rationale is to melt the snow in the water coming out of the road, but I've seen it done at places where there are no water spouts. After a heavy snowfall, you have to do a slalom between the piles of snow on the road and the oncoming traffic mad.gif

yes, damn their evil hides.

I hate shop assistants that come up to you and ask if they can help. They should make themselves available, ie. hover about, but not invade my space with verbal. Its also bad when they are the opposite though, like in Sports Alpen where you have to walk for 500m to find an assistant.

i get that at yamada denki. I usually read up on the specs of something and then if i have a question I ask them. When I've finally found a guy, I have to chase him a bit cuz he doesn't want to speak to a foreigner. then i finally talk to him and he thinks I'm asking a basic question so he just grabs the product pamphlet and starts reading up on it. Even though I've read through it already and the info I want isn't in there mad.gif this is when i realize that I know more about the product than he does

then after 10 minutes he just tells me some bullshit he just made up, and I leave the store fuming.

and repeat everytime I want to buy something major

It does make you wonder why these people are employed in the first place, I guess their main function is to tidy the shelves and so on. The ones that do actually know anything are the salesmen types who hassle you.

Another pet hate - 4x4 cars (you know, Mitsubishi Pajero type huge gas guzzlers) - I dont need to explain why as everyone who doesnt have one hates them for the same reasons. I also hate sports cars, to buy a sports car is just such a lame thing to do, I mean show a bit of imagination for gods sake if you want to show off how much money you have. These cars are built to do things you are not allowed to do (ie. go 130mph etc), its just moronic.

I generally agree Bobby12. BUT, a friend here in Hiroshima has a Porsche. Very impractical, but he takes it frequently out into the mountain roads and lets it rip. Amazing handling that any normal car just doesn't get near. For him it is an enjoyable hobby (rather expensive one maybe) but something he enjoys, not something he does to show off his money.

Good luck to him, although it sounds like he will end up like James Dean.

Its probably just sour grapes cos I dont have one, but I like to think if I had that much money to spend on a car I would go for something more subtle. In general I dont like when people have to ram ther success down your throat, and for me having a sports car is just another manifestation of that sort of behavior. If you live on the autobahn or whatever than fair enough, but its when people live in the middle of a big city and drive it 2 miles to work everyday (4x4 or sports cars) that I find it a bit nausiating. Ive seen people with 4x4's and they can hardly fit it into their garage and cause the traffic to halt for a minute or so each time they move it in or out - just get a smaller car dumbass and save yourself and the environment a fortune in fuel too.

no argument from me there mate! And I don't think I'd ever spend that kind of money on a sports car either. But for this guy it is nothing near trying to show off his money. He simply enjoys his car.

Bobbytw... - Yep, I'm one of those wonkers that got a 4wd and I agree with you. Sure a lotta demerits with owning it. Petrol = environment being the major one.

Why did I buy it? Well 5 yrs ago gas was about 50+% cheaper and I had lottsa plans to venture out on those forestry roads in the mountains, camping & the loike, snow touring up to Hokkaido, taking overseas visitors(& local friends) to very out of the way places etc etc. Some of these things I've done but not as often as I had anticipated. So I've spent a lot of money on juice, insurance, shaken etc that I didn't need to. Big fool me.

Why didn't I sell it? Well I didn't want to accept the bullshit dealer prices and lose tons again. The car is in top condition, never looked liked failing me and has done whatever I've asked of it. If it's not broke don't fix it kind of mentality. I understand the car pretty well (the nuts & bolts side) which I'm sure many of the urban cowboys/girls have no inkling of.

Also I admit to a certain level of wasteful hedonism mixed with a dob of safety. The car stands tall - I can see traffic situations that many lower drivers can't - it has the full bevy of options such as safety bits - ABS that really works, airbags, reinforced structural cells and the niceties of auto sunroof, auto reverse mirror, auto/power everything, tv, navi, etc, etc, etc. Plus I can load it up with tons of gear(camping skiing ...)and 5 people and it doesn't miss a beat.

I definitely don't drive it though for any imagined superiority over lesser mortals.

Would I buy it again. Probably not. It compromises my position on the environment too much. W

Will I sell it? I guess that day is looming, but couldn't change to any of the ubiquitous mouse traps on wheels. What to move to?

Any takers? \:\)

just thought of a new one. How about when you buy something that you will consume immediately and they try to put it in a bag for you. I always say no to the bag so they insist on putting a sticker/piece of tape on the item! A receipt is more than enough IMO. I figure if I wanted to scam i would buy a few things like that and collect the tape, then go shoplift and apply the tape. boom! What are you talking about? I bought this! What? You have me on camera putting it in my pocket? well, look at the tape/sticker....oh, yes now you believe me!

what a waste of tape!

The bag thing is just over the top.

I was feeling hungry and bought some biscuits the other day, they looked like digestives. Opened the box and every biscuit was in it's own wrapper! There were 8 in the box and them all wrapped up. Thats just crazy.

2nd-page revival.

***rooms in which the air conditioning is on way too much

***cell phones that vibrate when on top of things like desks and tables

***rooms in which the heating is on way too much

***Ramen-breath Columbo invading my personal space on the trains

***dogs wearing clothes

I'm at a Japanese friends parents house.

I'm using my computer.

It's not dark.

They ask me if I want to put the light on.

I say no thanks.

They then tell me that I can put the light on if I want to.

I tell them I don't want the light on as it is not dark and the light will only reflect on my screen - so I prefer the light to be off.

They turn the light on.

confused.gif

That sort of thing irritates me.

wendy-cake - don't you realise that they are helping you there? ;\)

Shops were really really busy today in Niigata. And lots of people in cars being a bit mad with the driving as well... saw 2 accidents and lots of near misses this afternoon as people's brains apparently took a holiday.

A drive in the country tomorrow I think I've had enough of clouds.

People who own big dogs when they live in tiny apartments. I used to see what looked like an Irish wolf hound being walked around the streets at Omotesando - selfishly cruel.