Ads for Aussie in the UK not allowed

A few years ago an otherwise little known Aussie divorce lawyer took out a series of putrid ads in the UK including one which screamed "Ditch the Bitch" to get publicity.

So this is not the first (and won't be the last) time some Aussies confuse 'vulgarity' with 'sense of humour'.

Yes it is VERY cring-worthy, but like Viv & Kev said - it's certainly getting a load of publicity.

A 'true' Aussie would've said: 'F**K OFF, WE'RE FULL!' lol.gif

I think the marsupials among us are setting the bar rather too high. I think they've done a pretty good job of representing the disreputable charms of Australia in a 30-second spot.

What else would you recommend? (Quick, you have 30 seconds...)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
What else would you recommend? (Quick, you have 30 seconds...)
How about Paul Hogan, Dame Edna and a bunch of camels walking across a beach? (Post Mardi Gras connotations too!)

Maybe, but I will defend that salt water rock swimming pool that the kid claims to have cleared the sharks out of. You might need to visit Sydney to get a feel for what they are. In short, they are 'swimming pools' cut into the sandstone platform at the base of the headlands at each end of a suburban beach. There are loads of them in Sydney. In summer if the surf was crap I would often go for a quick swim in them before and/or after work. They are no gimmick or misleading snapshot for marketing purposes. They are real, they are amazing and they are a truly unique asset to Sydney. If you lived near a beach in Sydney you would see and potentially use them every week. Not many cities in the world have lifestyle features like those pools. My local ones were at Bronte, Bondi and for a while at Coogee. Before and after work in the city you could swim in those half natural pools. Or you could just use the sandy beach if you didn't mind drowning (like all the shiny footy shirt wearing vitamin D deprived backpacker poms seem to do within a week of arrival and claiming their right over the beaches of Convict Land).

I like this article on the topic.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/upho...1701634136.html

(and I still think it is a cringy crappy ad, but not worth banning)

Is 'bloody' a swear word? I don't think it really is any more, talk about hyper sensitive banning that. It's a bit cheese but definately not offensive and the imagery of the girl in the bikini will stick with me far longer than what she says.

A few years ago 'bloody' was a restricted word on SJ forums. It was automatically converted to *****. As a results I remember Rach (with the support of V&K) telling top to stop swearing. Due to the auto-censor of bloody, they must have assumed that I was using the F word. SJ dudes have since relaxed their opinion of the bloody word. However it sill remains on a list of banned words in Great Britain.

When I was at primary school, we liked to use 'bloody this and bloody that' to show how grown up we were. By way of a crackdown, our rather pleasant but annoying Headmaster went around the classrooms to deliver a little homily about swearing, but especially 'bloody'.

"If I fell down the stairs" (grins all round as everybody pictures the Headmaster falling down stairs) "and broke my leg" (barely suppressed merriment) "and there was blood everywhere," (titters) "would you say 'The headmaster broke his bloody leg'?" (guffaws).

And on he ploughed, with his ridiculous exposition of the foolishness of saying 'bloody' when nobody had cut themselves or otherwise bloodied themselves. It was especially foolish given that even at that age, I knew that bloody was supposed to be a corruption of the mild exclamation "By your Lady!"

The upshot of it was that we all quickly learned to say "****ing" instead in the hopes that the headmaster would come and explain how ridiculous it was to say that unless, for example, he was having sex with another member of staff.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

The upshot of it was that we all quickly learned to say "****ing" instead in the hopes that the headmaster would come and explain how ridiculous it was to say that unless, for example, he was having sex with another member of staff.
thats a pisser! Did he ever come and explain that one?? lol.gif