Another `what does this mean?` in Japan

Well, i have been in Japan for a while, but this is a first.

I was at a Japanese friend`s place yesterday, helping him and his girlfriend set up an entertainment center. The guy i know pretty well, we sometimes skateboard together, but his girlfriend i`ve only met a couple of times (i see some people rolling their eyes already).

Anyways, mission accomplished and i am geting ready to go, when the girlfriend rushes out and grabs something. She hands me this little pink and camo bag, saying thanks for the help, yada yada yada. I say oh no, i don`t need anything (they had bought me dinner beforehand) but she say `kimochi dake`, and i finally accept. I half expected to feel some money or something in ithe bag, but insteard it feels kinda soft. And the she says `Don`t open it until you get home`. Ooh la la!

So my friend drops me off at home, and i go inside and open the bag. Much to my amusement/horror/suprise, i pull out a pair of see-thu camo undies with pink trim. Very sexy undies. And not my size at all.

I am reluctant to hypothosise why my friend`s girlfriend would give me such a gift, especially right in front of her boyfriend. Was it a joke? I don`t know her THAT well. Was it to match the camo cargo pants i was wearing that day? As far as my eyes and nose can ascertain, they are new, ie unworn.

i am hoping someone here perhaps has had a similar experience and can shed some light on this unusual omiyage. I will be helping them assemble the rest of the unit on Thursday, so i am wondering what to do.

And in case you are wondering, yes, she is very hot, and no, i would not think of doing anything behing my friends back, if that is what the undergarments in question truly innuendo.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gamera is the expert on all Japanese social customs, ancient and modern. He'll be along soon to bring some transparency to these see-through panties.

Kintaro, would you like me to correct your French spelling, or are you happy with that as it is?

While Gamera is at it, i`d also like to know more about the historical function of 夜ばい、 and if it was more of a marraige proposal thing, or just a fling in the sack. But first, help with the panties, please!

The girl=hot

The panties= see-thru camo print, with small solid patch on the very bottom of crotch. If someone was wearing them, the front and the back would be semi-transparent. The trim is hot pink. Very skimpy.

What i want to know is possible reasons why she gave me the damn thing. I would be a little worried if she was making a pass at me. Being my friend`s live-in girlfriend and all.

oblivion is the one to ask about risky 3-sums. He's entangled with his married female boss.

3-sums with foreigners seem to be enjoying a bit of a boom among Japanese, if the experience of my friends and some poking around on the Japanese Web are anything to go by. Rather than an invitation to dally just with her, it might be bait to get you into a spit-roast situation.

The best way to find out what it all means is to ask I should think.

Thank you for all of your time. You have a fine grasp of the French language.

I gotta (spelling error) admit, I do not understand the meaning of "doing the washing up together." but am not seeking a definition.

Interesting.

That's cool how they came in a matching bag and all. Maybe she always wanted to get piped by a foreigner, and dudes letting her go through with it. I would def. investigate to see whats up cause he must have known what it was, or he would have been like WTF is that?

Ocean, I double checked with my French friend. It seems YOU are able to consult a dictionary but not able to translate. You are mistaking washing up with each other the same as someone could easily mistake the Japanese slang "BAKA" as 'horse deere'.

Could happen to anybody mate!

It means a party of 3 involved in sex. Spelling aside, does anyone disagree?

I am bloody jealous. That kind of sexy thing never happens to me. Come to think of it, I am kind of glad it doesn't, must be confusing and complicated. I wonder what she has in mind? Let us know if you ever learn more about her cunning stunt. Good luck.

No Kintaro, you're wrong. Dictionaries are written using an exhaustive checking process that makes them more reliable than a straw-poll of one. If I were to ask many an English person for linguistic advice, there's a very high chance it would be wrong. If I were to translate from Japanese asking my wife instead of consulting dictionaries, I don't think it would go very well.

Main Entry: mé·nage

Pronunciation: mA-'näzh

Function: noun

Etymology: French, from Old French mesnage dwelling, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin mansionaticum, from Latin mansion-, mansio mansion

: a domestic establishment : HOUSEHOLD; also : HOUSEKEEPING

Apart from the fact that it's French, there's probably a reason why the Anglo Saxons came up with "3-some" and then "3-sum"; it's part of their quest to divest sex (as well as drinking) of all its social aspects.

Kintaro, it's not surprising you're short on knowledge if you take instruction so gracelessly.