Quote:
Besides ski slopes I rarely ever hear it.
Mad that isn't it. Why oh why do they have to have that blaring out. And sometimes to the point of terrible distortion. Aaarrrggghh!

After a few years one certainly gets used to the noises at feeding time. Even the yabbering with a mouthful and the GULPING of drinks, irregardless of how thirsty one is, and stuffing food in like there's no tomorrow, doesn't bother me much these days.

However I've been told by friends (Japanese) on occasions when discussing this, that they are embarrassed by the level of noises people make.

To them it's not acceptable in many situations to be loudly slurping or shovelling food.

Peasants and slobs popularized by bad TV.

It's all about style. \:D

> Peasants and slobs popularized by bad TV.

Almost as much as the total lack of gentility that the peasants display, I do however find the 'elegant' gestures of TV eating womens to be almost as repulsive - the hand under the morsel, the hand over the mouth, the hand to the glass, the nodding of appreciation as they chew.

I actually did that once unintentionally the first time I ate KansaiFu Okonomiyaki. Chris and I were out and about and decided to get some. I asked the lady cooking if KansaiFu is good and she said its the "only okonomiyaki" and what we call HiroshimaFu is actually Hiroshima"yaki" whateverTF that means. Anyways, we get the food (with a fork and knife brought over), take my first bite, and say to chris in Jap, I sure wish we were actually eating HiroshimaFu instead as it taste 10xs better lol.gif \:o

We didnt get an "okini" after that lol.gif

O-11 -Yeah I'm not sure which is worst.

The feigned protocol of eating esp. re woman can be downright painful.

As can be sitting next to a lawn mower eating.

Which I experienced not so long ago. The piece de resistance was him lowering his head to the plate and proceeding to suck/slurp the soft egg up. All the while, talking with his girlfriend who sat and nibbled so delicately. ;\)

Digressing a little - a few years ago at a backpackers in Kyoto, an Ozzie guy who had been in Japan for a year was always slurping, slapping and sucking his way through his noodles/food (in the shared kitchen). Another person commented to him about it and he said to the likes of,

"Yourin Japan mate - do as the romans"

Phuk if anyone needed ram rodding, it was that pretentious little pryk.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
> Peasants and slobs popularized by bad TV.

Almost as much as the total lack of gentility that the peasants display, I do however find the 'elegant' gestures of TV eating womens to be almost as repulsive - the hand under the morsel, the hand over the mouth, the hand to the glass, the nodding of appreciation as they chew.
Yes! Liike on Iron Chef (best TV show ever).
  • 3 weeks later...

I was enjoying a my lunchtime in piece and quiet yesterday when my Japanese colleague came and had his lunch which was you guessed it ramen.

My quiet moment of solitude was ruined by a the sounds of half submerged jetboat intake, it was so damn annoying and he was totally oblivious.

Like fingernails on a blackboard

When in Rome?, bleh, if Romans shag their sisters does that mean you do to? or when in Afghanistan would make your woman wear a Burkha and sit separated from the men?

When in Rome holds no water for offensive customs and habits.

Fail to see any connection between incest and ramen, but you just gave me an excellent idea for a ramen shop in Kabukicho.

C'mon, why does eating have to be all about the eating pleasure of the person next to me?

Heck, slurping I get to indulge all FIVE of my senses at once. Sensory overload. Its close to org@smic. Bet miss manners never got off from eating. My eyes have seen the light! I can't believe there's people who still want to just politely taste their ramen. . .

Forget about the person eating next to you and get into your own eating for once. Suck yourself silly. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Tohoku bum:
C'mon, why does eating have to be all about the eating pleasure of the person next to me?
I believe the word for that is called courtesy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tohoku bum:
Heck, slurping I get to indulge all FIVE of my senses at once. Sensory overload. Its close to org@smic.
why? do you have your spare hand down your pants while you're slurping your noodles? ;\)

Tohoku bum, I enjoy eating, savouring fine foods, letting aromas waft around my nose, the flavours soak into my taste buds. That however is fine food exuding flavour not a cheap snack like ramen (one that requires a slurping sound to "activate" your hearing and make the flavour come out) and I wasnt eating at the time, I was relaxing and enjoying a book and its hard to forget the next person when he sounds like a malfunctioning spa pool inlet.

The only thing that would have hacked me off more would be him lighting up.

Whatever, this is the land of slurping, nothing much I can do about it.
The ironic thing is the guy probably thought I was being rude and ignoring him and not wanting to talk to him when I got up at left the room.
 Quote:
The ironic thing is the guy probably thought I was being rude and ignoring him and not wanting to talk to him when I got up at left the room.
Yep I've experienced that. But it's pretty difficult to explain without appearing a bit of a fool (or at least in their eyes).

I just try to avoid it as much as possible.

Two Zen monks were walking along the bank of a river when a drowning (ramen-slurping cigarrette-smoking) woman floats by.

The first monk, without a moments hesitation, dives in and carries her to the shore, rescuing her.

Later, as the two monks continue their walk, the second monk reproaches his friend for touching a (ramen-slurping cigarrette-smoking) woman and thereby breaking his vow of celebacy.

"But, my dear friend, I put the (ramen-slurping cigarrette-smoking) woman down after I carried her to shore. You, on the other hand, are still carrying her."

(ps. Didn't they invent chopsticks so you only had to use one hand to eat?)

I had udon at the weekend and the men on either side of me were each pulling a vacuum of 40 torr to get the udon out of their bowls. I couldn't hear myself think about what my udon tasted like.