Theres one thing that really gets me pissed off.

That's bad table manners. It's pretty wierd cause I'm a f*ckin dirtball, but this really gets to me when I go out to eat and I see someone get in the lawnmower starting position and them ppppppppppffffffffffffffffttttttttttttt

What gives? I was recently taklking about this with a Chinese-American friend of mine and he never noticed it. I figured as a child he may have eaten alot of noodles and has always been around that sound. The other is when people smack everything. I heard a guy smacking soup today WTF? Am I just nuts?

natural, and it does make it easier to eat ramen if you can get the hang of it. It is more of an open mouthed vacuum-cleaner-like suck than a slurp like you might do with a single strand of spaghetti.

I don't see the need to slurp, even if it is the done thing. My mother-in-law, who otherwise has very pleasant table manners, seems to find it necessary to make porcine noises when eating curry. Only curry produces this phenomenon. Apart from wanting to exclaim "Stop that disgusting noise!", I'm overwhelmed by the urge to ask "Why only curry?"

JPCHUCKY, It's bad table manners in the west but it's not here. Get used to it.

Eating food with fingers, slurping, etc are all part of the experience. I don't like western eating ways.. Where no noise is good, one must use knife and fork etc.

O11, don't ask the outlaw "why curry" she might realise and start doing it all the time

Bad manners in my book. One person doing it in a restaurant is bad, EVERYONE doing it in the restaurant is bloody annoying.

Sure, when in Rome, but then there's one thing to consider:

If a whole population does something deemed stupid (etc), is it considered 'stupid' or 'different'? confused.gif

Anyway, my main beef are people who eat with open mouths - THAT'S DISGUSTING mad.gif

who deems it stupid SZ? Here in Japan it is the norm. It is only different or stupid when viewed from an outsiders point of view. Us wearing shoes into our houses is seen as different, and sometimes even dirty by Japanese people. But that is normal in our countries.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
who deems it stupid SZ? Here in Japan it is the norm. It is only different or stupid when viewed from an outsiders point of view. Us wearing shoes into our houses is seen as different, and sometimes even dirty by Japanese people. But that is normal in our countries.
Agreed - by 'stupid' I wasn't referring to the slurping issues, just meant it in general terms.

There's a lot to be said for taking shoes off - a few against too. ;\)

> Here in Japan it is the norm.

H11 was giving his mum a very hard time the other dinner asking why he could slurp ramen but not udon. This particular norm does seem a little stupid from any point of view (this contradiction was also picked up on in the film Tampopo). Personally I prefer to resolve it in favour of not slurping anything.

Bushpig, shut your mouth or you'll get flies in there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
gotcha. BTW, I'm eating a nigiri with my mouth open right now :p
Kinky ... and what are you wearing? Tight jeans, fishnets? ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
JPCHUCKY, It's bad table manners in the west but it's not here. Get used to it.
Eating food with fingers, slurping, etc are all part of the experience. I don't like western eating ways.. Where no noise is good, one must use knife and fork etc.
Really, wow thanks in the 9 years I've been here I never noticed that bad table manners were legit :rolleyes: Almost nothing is eaten with fingers, so I have no idea what your talking about there. My father inlaw eats potato chips with chopsticks.
You listen to Jpop, don't you?

Bad table manners? in whose book?

Yes from a westerners point it is, and it annoyed me little at first, though not to the point I'd say that it was stupid.

I can't see any right way to eat ramen or udon with out sucking them up. I don't make a huge noise, and most people I know don't either, maybe you are hanging out at otaku slurping spots?

as for the fingers i originally wrote asian eating styles in my reply but I must have erased it while I was editing my post. My mistake.

Slurping udon or ramen in Japan,

Eating with fingers in Indonesia..

Bad manners in the western world, but is it in Japan?

And no CHAD, I don't listen to jpop.

Im always the loudest slurper in the restaurant -Its just to show them that gaijin can use chopsticks,slurp, and eat ramen. I also like to burp and fart but thats more outta habit than anything.

>Really, wow thanks in the 9 years I've been here

Yet, you still get pissed off at people slurping noodles after being here THAT long eek.gif wakaranai.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Bad table manners? in whose book?
Yes from a westerners point it is, and it annoyed me little at first, though not to the point I'd say that it was stupid.
I can't see any right way to eat ramen or udon with out sucking them up. I don't make a huge noise, and most people I know don't either, maybe you are hanging out at otaku slurping spots?

as for the fingers i originally wrote asian eating styles in my reply but I must have erased it while I was editing my post. My mistake.

Slurping udon or ramen in Japan,
Eating with fingers in Indonesia..
Bad manners in the western world, but is it in Japan?

And no CHAD, I don't listen to jpop.
You must be confusing me with someone else, at no point did I say it was "stupid". Actually nobody said that. Fact be known, I'm not into Ramen, but my wife/friends eat it all the time making very little noise. It's a select few who piss me off.
CHAD, thats funny, but no need to attack.
I thought J pop was part of the "experience" you speak of. This is Japan, Jpop land "get used to it". ;\)

I don't complain about Jpop though JP. (though I don't liek it)

Besides ski slopes I rarely ever hear it. So I guess my J experience isn't complete then.

Chad wasn't an attack, just being my sarcastic self :p