I really hope I can get a reasonable price on it

As far as I'm aware most of the cost for shaken is pretty much fixed - taxes and the like. The place I had mine done the only cost going to the actual garage as far as I could tell was 9800 for the 'smile shaken' basic cost and 10000 yen for their admin costs or something. The rest was fixed stuff.

Of course anything that needs doing is extra. They told me what needed to be done to pass the shaken, and also what they "recommended" to be done. So many recommendations!! lol.gif

Yeah the taxes are set. You go to a cheap place and they will show you a sheet saying that the taxes are almost as much as you pay them. Thats means that they are almost making no money! BS.

The recommended replacements are outta control! It really depends if people maintain their cars. Garages are just trying to make money on labor charges and selling good used parts.

If you go to a dealer garage you are going to pay thru your front teeth.

I got a list with a complete breakdown. The company I got it done at was it seems getting 15800 yen out of the basic 110,000 or so - the rest was taxes and the like. They did try and get me to get another 80000 or so done, er, sorry, fixed.

You need to ask where to go at the office for it.

If your car had HIDA number board, probably you need to ask it at:

ナンバープレート表示文字『飛騨』

〒506-0035 高山市新宮町830番地の5

TEL 0577-36-1221

FAX 0577-36-1223

管轄地域

高山市、下呂市、飛騨市、大野郡

thumbsup.gif

snowboard - I don't remember it good because it was when I was 21 or 22 y/o - more than 20 years ago!

Guess perhaps 30,000 yen cheaper? I don't have the invoice, receipt any more, so can not be sure.

wakaranai.gif

A mid sized car should cost you 4-6man if you do it by yourself. That's alot more off than just 3man, especially if you are paying 150K+!

Alot of the reason here why shaken costs so much also is that I find people sometimes don't maintain their cars that well during the mid time, but also get ripped off because they have no idea how to do little repair work themselves.

I mean we live in a country where people call JAF when they get a flat tyre! or go to the gas station when they need their snow tyre rims changed over!

Quote:
people sometimes don't maintain their cars that well during the mid time, but also get ripped off because they have no idea how to do little repair work themselves
That would be most people probably. (Possibly including myself.)

I know almost nothing about cars other than how to drive them and what I like in a car, and to be honest I'm really not interested.

I'm certainly interested in not getting ripped off though.

I went and got an estimate after work last night

Not so bad

I'm going to try and go the do-it-yourself route though because of that 110,000 only 10,000 is repairs

What a load of runny shit.

100,000yen in fees and taxes

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

What does it matter if the car is 2nd hand?

I'm going to get my car looked at at the auto inspection place this afternoon

Hoping for an easy process but know that there will probably be some difficulties.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
What does it matter if the car is 2nd hand?

I'm going to get my car looked at at the auto inspection place this afternoon
Hoping for an easy process but know that there will probably be some difficulties.
good luck Toque.

It doesn't matter if ya car is 2nd hand by the way...
Dunno where people get this info from wakaranai.gif

That goes without saying fukdane.

You have to remember also that the average japanese driver does F$$$ all km's and wear and tear isn't as harsh as driving on the OZ/US roads.

Just because a car is 2nd hand doesn't mean it's going to cost you a heap. I have had over 10 cars (and about as many shakens) in my time here and have never had to pay those prices that everyone gets scared about.

Well I went yesterday and with the gf there for translation it went pretty well

I was quoted 110,000 from a Shaken place in town. Of that 10,000 were mandetory repairs that they said I had to get done in order to pass shaken

At the inspection place all they said that was wrong was that my headlights were out of alignment. That cost me 1000yen at a gas station down the road.

All in all the final bill was:

51,000yen

37,000 weight tax

10,000 recycle tax

1,000 headlight fixing

rest little taxes

I saved 60,000yen going this road and I was finished the entire process in 2 hours clap.gif

Tonight I'm taking the gf out for dinner for helping me out and saving me a load of money