There's a few vending machines at the top of my road and something is really starting to annoy me. It's a quiet road, not a main one, but these things are turned on all night. The lighting for them is just totally excessive - they light up the area 30m in all directions it is so bright, almost enough to give you a headache.

I spoke with some neighbours and they all pretty much came out with the "so desu ne" line. Anyway I found out who was in charge and asked them why they were on all night. "Because it is convenient for people wanting a drink". ( eek.gif ) Then I asked why they were so brightly lit. "So people can see them".

confused.gif Didn't really know how to respond to those.

I wonder how much energy is used up by all those machines throughout Japan. Wonder if it is worth it for the convenience to the few people who want a coke at 3am in the middle of nowhere.

Problem is nicole - there's probably about 500,000 of them!

And often 3 of them lined up together. After all, we need a choice of over 40 beverages and a choice of which machine to get our Coke from at 3am in the morning when the need arises.

I think that one farquah showed is just for play.

Not a vending machine. You put a 100 yen then you push the green and red button at the middle. Probably you are to operate the 3 yellow nailed hand in the air in the box to grab the robster.

Or is it really a vending machine, farquah?

Thats lobster catcher is sweet.

It looks like it just drops them like a meter in the back (just like the reg. ones) and then them things come out swingin.

And yes those vending machine lights blow.

When I ride my bike home from work theres one (actually a triple set of them like you mention)on a really dark corner, and it just totally blinds me for a second. It's like heaven.

Actually there was a bit of a fuss from animal rights groups about the lobster "UFO catcher" a few years back when they first appeared. Unfortunately Japan's laws (perhaps enforcement of) are very lax on the issue.

another bit of useless vending machine trivia...... It is believed to have been first invented by Hero of Alexandria, a 1st century inventor. His machine accepted a coin and then dispensed a fixed amount of "holy water".

Currently Japan has a vending machine for every 25 people!!

Is that all? I think they should increase them to make it more benri for us all.

NEar where I live there is a place where there are 10 machines all lined up together... same shop. 5 of them sell Coke - the same can for the same price. I don't understand that.