I realise that it is still a little bit early in the season but ... I was wondering if any of you "OUTDOOR" types had any info/opinions/recommendations on hiking boots/shoes. I am more after the shoe type but any info would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Hey NPM - I picked up a really nice pair of cold-ish weather/spring hiking boots from Salomon. They were on sale, very good value. They have Gortex liners, suede outer and a big rubber bumper around the toe and side. This makes them very tough them and also ensures total waterproofness when kicking along in the snow. They are not ultra serious hikers boots but do me just fine.

I've got Salomon shoes and I've been really pleased with them. They've been great for climbing mountains and they were even fine in the mud with gaiters.

My reason for choosing shoes over boots is that I wanted to use them for everyday when I go travelling.

I've got Karrimor boots (gortex lined, suede/gortex outer). Had them for almost 10 years and they are still going strong.

Shoes or boots depends on where your planning in going. I'm always glad of the extra ankle support on steep downhills, especially loose rocks & scree.

Quote:
Originally posted by NPM:
I realise that it is still a little bit early in the season but ... I was wondering if any of you "OUTDOOR" types had any info/opinions/recommendations on hiking boots/shoes. I am more after the shoe type but any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
1. Don't be tempted by make - like ski boots, it depends on the shape of your foot e.g. some lasts are predominantly suited to wider, longer, etc foot size. E.g. I can’t use Scarpa’s because they’re too stiff and keep giving me blisters.
2. Try on a few makes wearing two pairs of socks (thin pair next to skin and a thick pair over the top)and choose the one that hurts less. Ignore the Gore-Tex extras - they're a gimmick because the membrane doesn't last long. Better to get all leather, non-suede boots and use Sno-Seal, which is a beeswax based waterproofing agent – doesn’t rot leather like the animal-fat based ones. (Get the jar – it’ll last longer and is easier to apply.)
3. I’ve found boots with the cut away section on the rear more comfortable, but a bit less waterproof, which isn’t a problem really if you use gaiters.
4. The old treatment of walking boots in whilst soaked really does work – a mate is a bootmaker and I complained of sore feet on a walk. He suggested walking in them whilst soaked, but being new boots I hesitated, up until we had to wade through a creek. The subsequent drenching loosened them up and made them as comfortable as slippers with no deterioration in quality. (Just don’t dry ‘em in the sun – stuff with newspaper when just damp and leave to dry naturally, then apply sno-seal.
5. Stitch down soles will generally last longer than the glued option, but some places can resole both. Ensure the sole is a good grip type and preferably made out of a natural rubber compound – best grip. Synthetic rubbers are usually damn slippery on wet or greasy/slimy rocks.

Good Luck.

SZ

sz,

Agree with lots of what you said especially about the soaking the leather boots in water and then walking in them until they dry - did that with my old boots.

Also true about brands - the fit is more important.

Had no problems with the goretex lining though. My 10 year old boots are still waterproof and have out lived 2 goretex jackets.

Soles which have the yellow thing on the botton are resoleable. The green dot means they have shock absorbers although that sounds like a gimmick to me. Vibram soles are good

Quote:
Originally posted by me jane:
Had no problems with the goretex lining though. My 10 year old boots are still waterproof and have out lived 2 goretex jackets.
Soles which have the yellow thing on the botton are resoleable. The green dot means they have shock absorbers although that sounds like a gimmick to me. Vibram soles are good
I suppose the integrity of the goretex depends on use - we do lots of walking that lets sand and mud inside the boot, which quickly erodes the inner, particularly the insoles, which we replace regularly.

Didn't know that about the coloured dots - though it's commonly used on safety work boots. Yes, Vibram soles are good, eh? They always provide good grip and tend to wear well.
 Quote:
I wonder if Toque has any info!
I use Raichles. Kootenay IV I think. Made for Canada market.

SubZero hit it on the nose but I'll add this in.

-I stay away from Gor-tex for boots and go for as much leather as possible
-Try and pick a boot with as little stitching as possible. The leather should be almost all 1 peice with the seam to join in the back.
-Vibram sole is best and you should be able to get them re-soled if the leather is still good by that time.
-Just keep them waxed and you will be fine. I really like the Sno-Seal that SubZero uses. Just get a hairdryer and an old toothbrush and work the wax in.
-If you are doing backpacking trips with a big bag say 20-30kg then you will want a boot with lots of support. I found out the hard way when I hiked 25km in skate shoes with a 15kg bag last June on a ski trip. My heals were damaged for a month or 2.

I have been using Meindl Perfekt for 15 + years, on my 2. pair now. the first pair i sold in Nepal for some.. never mind ;\)

The Perfekt's are heavy, very heavy. all leather.

They give you great support, comes with Vibram yellow or green dot soles. are waterproof if you use Meindl's Sil Proof.

you will either love them or hate them. you will hate them if you don't like heavy boots. and love them if you want a pair of boots that are indstructable, supports your ankle, and garanties you no blisters.

meindl-trekkingschuhe-04-perfekt.jpg

Toque's post is good reading, take care of your feet when carrying heavy packs.

downhill is the big test.

i had a short affair with some Mont Bell (don't know the model) a few years ago because i wanted something lighter and smaller. that affair ended with bloddy toes after 2 days of hiking

Quote:
So you do lots of hiking then Thunder? Whereabouts do you hike in Japan?
Used to do a lot when i lived in dk. went to sweeden and norway a lot.
Here in japan i haven't done too much. Only done Ontake area and Sumata a few times.
Wow that was not much!