Camcorders and cameras on cold days - read!

If you plan to bring your camcorder or digital camera and do many pictures I advise STRONGLY on getting a 2nd battery.

Don't expect more then a few images or 20 Minutes of video. The normal rechargeable batteries will lose power in the cold very fast.

So it would be a good idea to have a 2nd battery in a warm place under your ski gear. The due to cold empty ones will also come back to life if warmed up again.

Quote:
Originally posted by nicole:
Really? I've taken my digital camera to the snow many times and have never had this problem...
In Oz it's generally okay - they're talking REAL cold.
 Quote:
Originally posted by nicole:
Really? I've taken my digital camera to the snow many times and have never had this problem...
I can't remember how cold it gets in the Australian snow hills, but on days any colder than -15C I am unable to get even one picture or second of footage with either my digital camera or camcorder. Both are good quality and pretty new. Some brands seem to perform better than others. Snowglider will have the skinny on this topic.

wow, so you get good reliable performance in colder than -15C. What brand is it? I have been seriously dissapointed when mine shuts down a second after it says 'bing!' and the lights come on. (Canon Ixus)

If someone wants to dig up battery specifications and performance for different brands that might give a clue, but I reckon they'd be pretty similar across the board. People on camera and camcorder boards would probably be most knowledgeable.