Eventually it is going to extend down to Osaka, offering a northern alternative to the Tokaido line. Nothing like going miles out of your way and adding a few hours to the journey.

If the Chuo Shinkansen (Maglev) gets off the ground (no pun intended) then Osaka and Tokyo will only be 1 hours apart.

That does have me confused after seeing the length of track I did yesterday and its position - it seemed to be going from the Nagano region towards Nozawa.

I'm sure it will make sense when it's all built and looking pretty ;\)

actually piggy :p there are express trains from Osaka/Kyoto that go over to Kanazawa which would be faster than a Shink ;\) ....he says without a clue \:D

The express train from Osaka-Nagoya-Matsumoto-local to Hakuba is about 5 hours or just under (including over an hour local ride)

Yeah, I was thinking about the possibility of getting from Hiroshima to Nagano without having to go via Tokyo. Thought maybe it would be shorter/cheaper. But after seeing that map it doesn't look that way.

mate if you wanted to train it to Nagano best for you would be Shink to Nagoya and then change to the Express train listed above. Thatd be the fastest for ya.

Real question is would you make it past Kyoto? Lemme know once ya get the key too please by emailing my cell cool.gif

BP:

They are going to extend it down from Kanazawa to Osaka later, but work on it hasn't started yet.

If you're still here in 35 years you may be able to someone to roll your wheel chair onto the train from one of the platforms at Shin Osaka.