i ate jellyfish salad and it was yum

strangely like eating soft rubber bands yet not really chewy like fatty bits of meat...no taste really bar the dressing which was quite delicious

or maybe it was the wine...

weirdest gastronomic experience?

raw horse always gets up there as one of mine. I've had it slimy, and greyish (perhaps verging on going off!), as well as crisp (not crunchy crisp, but not slimy) and very similar to a piece of rare beef. Not bad like I expected, and certainly doable (in fact the last time I had it it was quite nice - but then I had had a few beers with some oyaji and the conversation was quite lively), but not sure that I would order it too often...

Well, I travel a lot in China....

Bee larvae - expensive, otherwise nothing special

Water Beetle - looks like fat cockroach. I passed this one

Dog - nice meat

I often see crocodile in supermarkets, but haven't tried.

And i really like those little dry fish that you get in korean restaurants.

have to say sweet meats full stop makes my stomach turn - laughed myself silly at a friend attempting to just put down lambs fry - gagging and eating at the same time is surely a difficult thing to do.

grasshoppers...i've been told brown ones ok never go for the greenies but what would it taste like? chicken??

western conditioning makes it really hard to imagine eating horse but i suppose eating some nag isn't that different to eating some old cow.

chihuahua on a stick anyone?

Quote:
Originally posted by nicole:

Weirdest plant: Prickly pear (cactus) - I didn't like it at all, quite slimy.
Yeah, I tried that! It's texture is just like raw horse!

Soobi, the first time on the horse took several beers to work up to. Mr Ed actually tasted alright though.
 Quote:
strangely like eating soft rubber bands
lol.gif sounds good that.

The worst thing I have put in my mouth I think is something called ikanoshiokara (squid insides in some disgusting pink sauce). Terrible. I can still smell/taste it now.

Shirako

Yup, it's fish sperm, or more correctly, the seminal vesicles and included sperm of a fish. Looks sort-of like brains... It's served with some hot red condiment and minced green onion, but it's still fish sperm.

Thankfully(?) never had the chance to have brains! Doesn't it taste like tofu or scrambled eggs?

I've been subjected to a Chinese version of jellyfish, but it was made from dried jellyfish, so it tasted as well as looked like rubber bands (not like I'm given to tasting rubbber bands...)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
actually, I remember someone trying to make me eat fish spunk... eek.gif
You mean fish roe - there's two types - male and female (obviously). Both are nice if cooked properly e.g. fried in a pan and served with bacon & eggs.

I love fried chickens liver and lambs fry & bacon - great winter foods.

Camel is very nice and lean, - kinda like coarse gamey lamb. Croc is like eating chicken with the tenderness of fish - nice enough (doesn't taste like fish though). Dislike Kangaroo because it's gotta be served rare - yuck.
 Quote:
How do they "farm" or "extract" the fish spunk, I wonder... Show the male fish pics of scale-less female fish??
:)

They only get them from certain species, so when they're caught, they gut the fish and remove the entire sack (roe) - each genders roe goes into a separate bucket. The female (eggs) are the most sought after e.g. sturgeon gives caviar.

In Oz, mullet (a type of fish, not the haircut!) give good quality roe too.
 Quote:
How do they "farm" or "extract" the fish spunk, I wonder... Show the male fish pics of scale-less female fish??
Im sure they use Playfish mags and the likes. Wonder if fish like em spread fish or not? What about maguro? Do they like maguro females?