I hate that I can't recover from soreness like I used to! I'm getting really close to 30, but in my mind I don't feel like it at all. Thank goodness the mountains remind me of it every weekend :rolleyes: Every day on the mountain this year, I always take it a run or two too far. Last week it was a sprained shoulder, the week before I bruised my hip, this week I tweaked my ankle dropping a small cornice on the last run. I realize I don't do the typical skiing on groomed runs, but damn, I used to be able to go 3 or 4 days before I needed a rest. I think this last knee surgery really knocked some of the wind out of my sails. I just don't want to accept it.

Anyone else feel remotely similar? I see shuffleboard as a future hobby - like in two years if I keep going at this pace....

PS - give me some time - got some great vid clips from yesterday! \:D

So how's the knee holding up Plucky? Are you still a boarder or have you reverted to the skis? I'm looking to do some backcountry/alpine camping and riding off Hakuba/Happo this spring, somewhere (around the 2nd week in March) as well.

Give me a holler if your heading that way.

I just busted my knee, but I don't want to go to the doctor to see what is wrong. I just don't want to hear him say, "lay off the knee for 6 weeks" or whatever.

I'll be really happy when science comes up with hydraulic, ball and socket knee joints with all of the ligaments and tendons to match.

Getting older sucks? Getting close to 30? Give me a break my child. Try being a 43 year old snow boarder! I get a lot of strange looks, and the Japanese folks I work with say I should be skiing - that snowboarding is for young children.

I love proving them all wrong...though I admit I don't recover no where near as fast as when I was 20 years younger...I went yesterday, and planned to skip the superbowl today to take advantage of the uncrowded slopes but decided to stay home and watch the game instead...barely have the energy to remote start the van to go to MacDonalds after this...

Ray

Hell Plucky - you're a yung'un. When you hit mid-40's and you got 2 knee braces on and you've popped the anti-inflammatories and you just want to grin & slide, makes for interesting recovery times.

I can't stop. Drives my wife nuts I think - but now I use the excuse of "giving the kid the opportunity" so we (I) still can go.

But for sure - the 7-8 hour hard days are gone and replaced by 4-5 on / 3 off, with food, wine, beer, chatting & smiles greasing the latter.

\:D

I seriously think my body is 10 years older than my actual age. Here it is 3 days after I was on the mountain and I'm still hurting. Shoulder, ankle and knee all have me hobbling around. But, this is nothing new as I'm sure most skiers and boarders know. I didn't really have the chance to get into that great of shape for the season so I'm sure that is playing a big part.

I've been skiing all season. I was unable to get a pair of snowboard boots to fit me. I actually did order some from REI, but they were too small. I sent them back to get a larger size and got a note last week saying they were out of those particular boots. It's worthless to try again since I wouldn't get them for 3 weeks to a month anyway. I may just rent or just keep looking around here for a big enough pair.

Sore knees? Start telemarking! Seriously! The work you need to do to telemark actually strengthens your knees. But you need to remember to be in fairly good condition before you hit the slopes. I'm 33 and while I'm not in the same shape I was in Colorado, I can still get out there no problem. The key is just to stay in shape doing other things and don't push it early in the year if you haven't been on your board(s) much yet. It definitely takes longer to recover and get warmed up but that's half the fun as well. But that said, one of the best tele skiers I know is my British friend who's turning 62 this year. He skis about 4 times a week in winter cross country/telemarking/backcountry and in the summer kayaks/mountain bikes/hikes and climbs. Amazing guy, I can only hope that I can stay in that kind of shape when I'm that age.

Originally posted by Plucky:

[QB] I hate that I can't recover from soreness like I used to! Thank goodness the mountains remind me of it every weekend

Anyone else feel remotely similar?

I feel you bro! My legs were sore as hell all day Monday and my knees are still feeling a bit sketchy. \:\( I was just commenting in my journal how frustrating it is to fatigue earlier and recover later than I'm used to. I guess even one summer makes a big difference. But remember, we must NOT give in. Sometimes you've just gotta say, "F-it, I will not be denied!"

Barok - what's the prognosis man? Can you perscribe yourself some painkillers yet? ;\)

I am ecstatic with the fact that I rode 25 days without missing a day due to any kind of injury!

Now I am gonna knock on some wood and hope my luck continues in Colorado next month.

Well I never went to the doctor, but after riding the crazy powdered steeps for 2 days at Big Sky Montana, my knee feels almost 100%.

It was really weird. I mean that mountain will turn the thinks-he-or-she-knows-it-all-expert-rider into either 1) a cowering-three-month-old-baby-girl-kitten or 2) a piece-of-steel-with-a-side-of-nails-on-steroids. I got lucky and reaped the benefits, so my legs are stronger, and my injury seems healed.

Kinda reminds me of last season, when every fall would either severely aggravate or correct my whiplash.

I am sure I will pay for both the knee and the neck at a later date, but if I can drop cliffs into 180's and feel no pain right now, I am all good with that.

i already feel old even though i'm 25. have had flares of arthritis since high school. reason why i had to stop skiing. but it's kinda mysterious bc the docs I've seen don't know why i have it- whether it's juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, a virus, lupus, or spondylarthritis. didn't bother me for a few years so i started snowboarding here. but since last april, it's been coming back. sometimes i have trouble making a fist or straightening my legs and arms. am stiff for a few days then fine for weeks. been to the docs here, got some chinese herbal tea and pills, but dunno if they do anything. i haven't had too many problems boarding, but i just can't push myself too hard. i always have to get lots of sleep and go to onsens. since last night, my right arm has been killing me- my shoulder, elbow, wrist, and the knuckle on my middle finger hurt. strange.

I think I've just been in perpetual hurt this whole season. My knee is still killing me from last weekend and I'm still pretty stiff everywhere else. To top it off, I started getting some really weird cramping across my chest last night. I was washing dishes of all things and just had to stop. Horrible pain in my sternum area that wouldn't go away. I think it stems from a bad crash I had a few weeks ago that really tweaked my shoulder. The shoulders been sore since the crash and the tendons in my right pec a bit sore, but it seems to be spreading now.

nekobi - I have a few problems that sound similar to yours - ones the docs have no idea about. The most unexplainable one is the constant pain and soreness in the top knuckle joint of my right middle finger. Can't hardly bend the thing.

Shit, I just hope I survive two days of skiing in a row this weekend. This is going to be tough.....

I should rename this to the 'Bitch about our injuries' thread \:D

I had a big crash (telemark catapult style, the kind that leave you stunned for a minute or two, with pole jamming into snow and sternum) beginning of last season, and had the same pains as you've just explained, plucky.

A year later and it's finally gone. A year of stretching and working out carefully around the areas. For a while i thought I might of cracked something around the sternum, but an x-ray cleared that up.

I never got to the bottom of what it actually was, but some kind of whiplash seems to be the best bet...

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
I had a big crash (telemark catapult style, the kind that leave you stunned for a minute or two, with pole jamming into snow and sternum) beginning of last season, and had the same pains as you've just explained, plucky.

A year later and it's finally gone. A year of stretching and working out carefully around the areas. For a while i thought I might of cracked something around the sternum, but an x-ray cleared that up.

I never got to the bottom of what it actually was, but some kind of whiplash seems to be the best bet...
I'm glad somebody understans what I'm describing. I cracked my collarbone (near the shoulder socket) last season and didn't know it until the very end of the season when I finally got xrays done. I've had shoulder pain ever since, but not too bad. The crash really brought all the pain back. I know nothing is broken this time, but it's just been weird how the smallest little tweak will set off this 'cramping' now. It's like the tendon is super tight connecting from my right shoulder to my ribcage or something. Hard to explain.

If you want to see the wreck in question, watch the latest vid I put up. It's the clip of me (in blue jacket) skiing down a flat road, catching an edge and going down awkwardly. Pretty embarrassing actually.....

Just doing some little stretches throughout the day helps, but any quick twists or sudden movements brings the tightness right back. It feels similar to a surfing injury that is common when you hyperextend some of the tendons in your ribcage from paddling. I'm sure most of you surfers have had this before.