I love chocolate. I usually eat it once a day, and it makes me all hyperactive and giggly. However, after inducing myself into a particularly nasty sugar coma on Friday night, I decided to see if I could break my chocolate addiction.

So far I haven't eaten a single piece of chocolate, and it is killing me. I am actually having withdrawal symptoms. Sunday afternoon I started feeling dizzy and nauseous, and today I had the mother of all headaches. At about 2pm, I actually began sweating for no apparent reason.

I am very close to giving up and eating one of the mini kit kats in the fridge, but I'm going to try and hold out a bit longer.

Has anyone else had any interesting experiences with going cold turkey?

Not with going cold turkey pe se, but a few weeks into giving up all sweets and eating fruit instead, I came to the realization why I had been an addict. Sweets never met my high expectations of them, nor made me full in a wholesome way, so I always wanted more to be satisfied. Fruit is satisfying in both ways, so although I eat rather a lot of that too, I don't go overboard.

Good ruck!

It depends... some days I'll only have a small chocolate, like a Caramello Koala, other days I'll have a full-size chocolate bar. Sometimes, if I happen to miss a meal, I'll go crazy and gorge myself on way too much. Friday night I got home late from work and ate almost an entire packet of Peanut M&Ms. Wasn't feeling too good after that!

I love chocolate and I gave it up 2 years ago. After the first 10 days, I felt ok and it actually felt good to turn down offers of a piece of chocolate. After a month I felt that I had proved my point to myself and now I'm back on the wagon...or is that off the wagon? lol

It would be a huge achievement for me to be able to turn down chocolate. Everyone in the office knows I'm addicted and they give me chocolate and lollies all the time. So yeah, I don't think I want to give it up completely, but I'd like to be able to function without it.

I think my blood sugar takes a dive about an hour after I have lunch, and that's when I start craving chocolate. I'll have to do as 011 does and eat fruit or some yoghurt instead.

Sadly it seems you carry a gene some scientists believe makes you vulnerable to addiction.

Drink a massive glass of water and chew some gum to ease your cravings and dont take up smoking or you could transfer your addiction.

wink1.gif

As an addictive/intense type of person who has gone cold turkey on things like a 10 year old, 20-30 smoke a day habit, I might comment.

CT is surprisingly easy. The rule is so simple it will not make sense until after you have mastered it. I will use chocolate as the object under discussion (but you could also talk about ciggies):

Golden rule: never pick up another piece of chocolate again.

It is that easy. One day you decide "when the big hand hits 12, I will not touch another one again, starting...... now". And away you go. By far the hardest part is over. The withdrawals etc are nothing, they pass really quickly in the time frame of life. You may think that the golden rule is obvious and stupid, but when people ask me how I gave up cigarettes my only answer is that I chose not to light another cig again, and so by default, I had given up.

I have not smoked in over 3 years(?) Not sure, I am losing count. But my lungs are strong and I feel very good.

Good luck Nicole! Just remember, it is only chocolate. If you really want to give up then move to the UK where it is almost impossible to buy real chocolate and you will be forced to stop eating it out of revulsion ;\)

Also, keep in mind that cold turkey on things like ciggies and chocolate is easy. Much harder is cold turkey on pointless personality traits. They are almost impossible to get rid of and most often very costly (eg. anger, jealousy, impatience, distrust). They destroy families every week yet people seem incapable of kicking the bad habit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
red cordial = red syrup that you mix with water for a sickly sweet drink mate. They tell parents NOT to give it to ADD kids (particularly the red)because it sends them off the scale.
So true. I wasn't ADD but it used to make me go beserk. I was never allowed to have red cordial at home so I used to OD on it at birthday parties. Once I drank about five cups of it and threw a rollerskate at some boy's head. He had to go to the hospital and get stitches.
eek.gif

Chocolate - I have phases - I can't eat it in summer at all. In winter I get cravings. That's fine, but sometimes I go thru phases where I have to eat lots of it in large amounts (usually in the form of chocolate chip cookies or some such thing). Then I can't sleep cos I'm too wired, plus I know how bad it is for my body/health. Then suddenly, just as quickly as the cravings come, they disappear and I find myself with no desire for chocolates for months and months (sometimes even years can pass). So I usually tend to let myself have it when I crave it cos I know it's not a lasting phase.

Last winter for instance I had no desire for chocolate and couldn't believe the amount of chocolate that Slow was eating at Club Med lol.gif This winter, if I'm sure I'd probably eat just as much as her (or maybe that's impossible!) lol.gif

Well folks, I think I've kicked it. Had a great night's sleep last night and have felt fantastic all day.

I even turned down chocolate from a coworker today - very proud of myself!

Sunrise, I used to have the same problem with sushi. I'd crave it for months on end and then all of a sudden I couldn't look at it without feeling ill. Strange!

I LOVE chocolate. I find the best thing to do is deny yourself any sweet foods ice cream/ chocolate etc for a few weeks or months then just have a binge for a day or two. Makes it all the sweeter when you eat, but it does take a certain amount of self control I suppose.

I can't imagine just not having any again, what's the point in denying yourself a special treat????