3 words to describe yourself

Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Svetik:
What is nihongo meaning for "smart"?
Slim or thin.
When Japanese say 'smart' talking in Japanese, it never means something like 'wise'.
So you can never say 'You are smart!' to chubby Japanese ladies because if you said it you'll probably be ignored forever!
eek.gif

Be careful. \:D
Good point Gamera. I wonder whether Svetik was wanting to know the Japanese way of saying the English word "smart", or the English way of saying the Japanese word "smart"???
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bushpig, I think "smart" is not a Japanese word. It's a 'borrowed' word if I can say.

So, I think the latter way ( English way of saying the Japanese word "smart" ) is not what Svetik wanted to know....

And if some word is a 'borrowed' word, a lot often it could mean different thing from original meanings as 'smart' does.

e.g. hips -- when Japanese say 'hips' talking in Japanese, it usually means 'butts', I guess.

So when English speaking people say 'hips', it's hard for me to understand which part of our body. My dictionaries don't have any pictures for it.

wakaranai.gif

hehehe, be careful with your translation into English there Svetik. "Good head" implies something altogether different...

Gamera, I realize the use of smart in Japanese is as a loan word. And I think you are right, that the "English way of saying the Japanese word "smart" is not what Svetik wanted to know". But rather she was after the Japanese way of saying the English word smart. Right Svetik??

hehehe, yep you've got it Svetik! It certainly involves "sausage"!

The Japanese loan-word "smaato" means slim or thin

The English word smart, translated into Japanese, would be "atama ga ii", "erai", etc., and means smart as in "clever".

That clearer?

Serious is always best balanced with not serious.

And what say you of 2Pints?

I too have thought about this and my final conclusion about myself is not a set of adjectives, rather a statement:

ALL

OR

NOTHING