Fancy some?

What is it? Animal tissue grown in the lab. Scientists are experimenting with ways of creating an edible product with the taste and texture of beef or chicken - without killing any cattle or chickens.

Single muscle cells are extracted from an animal, multiplied in the lab and attached to a sponge-like scaffold to hold them together. The scaffold can then be harvested as boneless, processed meat.

Apparently it might actually be good for you. Nutrients in the meat could be controlled and fatty acids that cause high colesterol and other health problems could be replaced with nourishing alternatives.

Yummy.

tolerably close??? Admittedly I haven't been to China, so I can only comment on what I have had in Aus, but I haven't tasted any that I would have rated "tolerable". Besides, why would I want to "tolerate" something when I can have a perfectly delicious real slab of meat? :p

If God had wanted us to be vegetarians then plants would have been made out of meat! \:D

Vitro meat AKA McShite burgers, etc - NO WAY!

Only REAL meat does the trick for me – from a farming background where touchy-feely, live and let live attitudes mean bugger all. :rolleyes:

Best remembered meals: eating wild quack that my Uncle shot, knocking the heads off home reared chooks (completely unlike those shop bought chemical/hormone/drug force-fed ones that taste like cardboard.) mad.gif

Best memory: on a trip several years ago in the Strzelecki Desert we met some stockmen who were camped whilst herding cattle in for branding and transport. They’d just butchered a beast, salted it down and stored it in the shade of some river gums on a tarpaulin covered with gum leaves to keep the flies at bay. The Manager advised a roustabout to give us some of the meat because we were out for some weeks – the stockman handed me a cardboard box dripping with blood – looking inside was the whole arse of the cow (the WHOLE rump – both cheeks!), we put it in a calico bag and over the following four days consumed the lot – that was the tastiest, leanest and most succulent meat I’ve ever had … Graded FD for F***ing Delicious!