Late evening Tokyo >> Narita - how?

OK, I want to return on 30/1 from Hakuba with the latest bus (so I can have a full day ski).

The bus will arive Shinjuku at 21:30 - can I still go on the Narita? Coz I have an early morning flight the next day.

I had that before and it was a MAJOR trouble to find a train.

Or is it best just to ride to Tokyo Station and get a train there?

Really, this time I want to check that out first!

When's your flight the next morning?

It's possible from Shinjuku with a couple of options. You can take one of two trains departing Shinjuku from around 11:13pm or 12:40am and arriving at Narita at 6:21am but that involves alot of messy transfers.

Or you can hang out in Shinjuku and catch a 4:36 train that arrives at Narita at 6:30am (with only one transfer).

If you can get an earlier bus, the last NaritaExpress from Shinjuku is 7:41pm (8:03pm from Tokyo Station).

Thanks for the help!

My flight is at 09:30 or so in the morning. I am with family, so hanging around till the next morning is no option.

I just wonder if there are trains which just go to Narita Town (not Airport) and which are not listed on those English airport access sites.

But I may opt for an earlier bus from Hakuba to make things easier..... The 21:30 arrival seems a bit tough....

There are trains that go to Narita Town (just type in "Narita" in the search engine). I'm not sure how easy/cheap it is to get a taxi from Narita Town to Narita Airport though. Sorry, never done that before.

The last JR Narita Express #47 leaves Shinjuku at 19:41 and Tokyo station at 20:03 - you'd miss it at either location. The other rapid service, the Keisei Skyliner, has its last train for the airport #61 leaving Ueno at 20:40, also before you arrive. Although the local trains run until around midnight, it seems that nothing goes to the airport terminal after about 21:00, and nothing leaves the terminal after 22:00 or so. I wonder if the train station at the Narita terminal shuts down at 22:00 or something like that. The last Limousine Bus from Shinjuku station to Narita leaves at 18:00.

Looks like you might have to make that last snow day a half-day... With those departure times, you should be able to figure out which bus from Hakuba you need to be on to make it into Shinjuku on time.

Peace,

ez

My flight is only early the next morning. I will stay overnight in a hotel near Narita (Garden Hotel). I would go only to Narita Town anyway. I did that before and the taxi was only a few minutes and cost was only 1 weeks wage (just kidding).

So, a local train from Shinjuku or Tokyo Station will be just fine.

Taxi from Garden Hotel to the airport shouldn't be a problem.

Alternatively you can get the free shuttle bus from the Garden Hotel to Keisei Narita station and get a train to the airport from there, though if you have family and luggage you're probably better of getting the taxi.

Taking a quick peek at the timetables you can get local trains out there, though looks like you'll have to change several times. Just make sure the connections give you enough time with your family and luggage. There seem to be a number of different ways to go, some winding up at JR Narita, some at Keisei Narita (either would be okay depending on how you want to travel). I'd suggest taking a good look at the connections before making the final decision on which bus to take from the ski fields. Also give some leeway for bus arrival times, since, after all, you're driving in traffic.

Here's a link to a different timetable site (which I always use) for some other options.

http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/

Ok man I just did some cheeking in the official JR site (in Jap sorry) and have some roots for you. I am giving you the last trains, which means if you get on a train earlier than that, you will be at narita sooner.

Change train only 1 time:

toei subway Shinjuku station 23:10 --(toei shinjuku line)-- motoyawata station 23:55(change train) keisei line yawata station 00:00 --(keisei line)-- keisei narita station 00:55 fare 940 yen

I have done this root myself and it is really convenient and also the cheaper one around. The keisei yawata station is just outside motoyawata station as you go up the escalators of the A6 exit.

Change trains 2 times:

JR shinjuku station 22:55 --( JR cyuo kaisoku line)-- JR tokyo station 23:08 (change trains) 23:16 --(JR yokosuka-sobu line)-- JR chiba station 23:55 (change trains) 00:01 –(JR narita line)-- JR Narita station 00:32 fare 1280 yen

Also done it, it is convenient because you only need to switch between the platforms at Tokyo station and at chiba station.

There are for sure more routes you can take, I am giving you the ones that at my opinion are the easier to follow. Especially for someone that is not familiar with the Tokyo train system.

• 4 weeks later...

To answer my own question:

Keisei Line runs trains from Keisei Ueno Station (next to JR Ueno) to Narita City till after midnight. A taxi ride to a near airport Hotel (I was in Narita Nikko) should be below ¥3000

Fare Ueno Narita City was 810 or so. Takes about 90 Minutes.