2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other = most of above

Had a friend at college who claimed he couldn't help being fat and it was in his genes. Might also have had something to do with his huge intake of beer, chips, burgers, chocolate and the like.

Not much sympathy then so far. The fattest guy I know is just a pig, he eats enormous amounts of food. He is ok with being fat though, he knows all about it. Just says he wants to eat.

I have a friend who is pretty big and they really do not eat much and always seem to be careful with their eating and drinking - they say whatever they do, they hardly lose any weight.

Unless of course they stuff themselves in private, but I really don't think so.

I'm REALLY suprised by the results so far. I thought we'd have a few more sympathetic minds.

I think laziness is a common misconception as to why people are overweight. Unhappiness seems to be a common reason.

Quote:
many things in the 2nd other answer. lacking many things, but namely self respect.
Wow! So according to that kind of logic somebody who is really skinny "lacks self respect" as well???

As I said the list isn't exhaustive.

So many reasons, difficult to say whether or not I'm sympathetic in general (but I chose yes). Not sympathetic to the lazy people but there are lots of reasons, some beyond the control of the overweight person. MM, I think some really skinny people also have issues, one of which is lack of self respect.

Anyone on here who is, or was, over- (or under-) weight?

I can't understand why people think there is a link between bodyweight/shape/size and self respect????

Perhaps self-esteem, but not self-respect. confused.gif

P.S I'm not overweight or underweight but I was having a discussion with a bunch of friends about this subject a couple of days ago and thought I'd share.....

When I was home in the Spring I saw some truly disgusting people in the States - like elephant huge eek.gif

Same thing in Australia when I was there in the Summer. People just eat waaaaaaay tooooo much. At one meal, I saw people eating as much (quantity) as I would have all day and it just made me sick to my stomach. That, and it wasnt even healthy food either.

Japan is going to catch up with the rest of the world. When you walk by a McDonalds look at the long line of people waiting to order. Ummmm, yummy McDonalds :rolleyes: With such a healthy and delicious selection of Japanese food to choose from why would you wanna eat that crap? wakaranai.gif

Sorry, I have no respect for such fat-@ss lazy F'in people. Get your fat @ss outta the lazy chair, put down the 2 Big Macs, and exercise for gods sake mad.gif :rolleyes:

Disgusting thumbsdown.gif

I know that this isn't the case for some fat people who have genetic problems or people that are blissfully happy with their fat selves, but I don't understand how people get really fat.

Surely, if you notice yourself gaining a few lbs or kgs, you then have thoughts like "i really should change my diet" or "i really should go to the gym" etc. yet some people pay no attention. Over the course of a journey to full fatness, there must be countless times that you notice your weight increasing, and countless opportunities to rectify what is happening.

You don't just wake up one day and be 50kgs heavier than the day before, its a long, gradual process. People who ignore the many signs (not fitting into clothes, feeling less fit etc.) who then complain about it when they become fat will get zero sympathy from me.

I suppose it is just a case of denial. I know I have gone through stages where I have gradually gained weight and noticed that I was doing so but didn't do much about it. I was enjoying the eating and drinking too much.... "I'll diet next month" that kind of thing.

I've always changed the habits before it got too bad though and lose the weight.

I find some of these comments really insulting, and I'm not even fat. I've been thin my whole life, however, that certainly isn't a reflection on my lifestyle.

I don't excercise and I eat with reckless abandonment. I'm guessing the only reason I'm not fat is due to my genes, not loads of self-respect?

When I see someone who's obese, I don't look at them with contempt, disgust or even pity. If they're okay with it, why should you or I worry?