Hi,

I am new to this forum, but have been boarding a while here in Japan. I am going up to Niseko (Hirafu) this weekend and need some advice on how to find all that Legendary powder.

Which areas are best? How much hiking is involved? and in which direction? Should I rent a beeper, shovel etc.. or is it relatively safe?

Any advice would be most welcome

There's usually lots of easily accessible powder within the boundaries of Hirafu. You should be able to get some powder in the courses at the top too.

Easiest ones off the top of my head:

1. either side of the Kogen hooded 6C triple lift has nice powder in fairly wide open tree runs.

2a. Cut left getting off the Kogen gondola and cut back under the gondola; traverse the woods a bit and you come onto the powdery Panorama course. Keep your speed up at the end to come out on the flat Family run.

2b. Alternatively, you can make the short hike right out of the gondola station and take the Panorama course all the way from the top.

3. Usually lots of powder under and around Alpen lift #3, especially at night when they close that lift. You just have to cut over there from the aforementioned Kogen 6C hooded lift.

4. If the peak is open, suggest you make the climb up there with someone who knows where they're going. Coming down the peak, cut back right to the Hanazono Lift #3.

Those are all relatively safe and easily accessible powder runs. Still, make sure you know where you are going and watch for the safety announcements/signs from the ski patrol. And bring a snorkle.

Thanks for all that Goemon have printed it out and will try to make sense of it once I have a map.

Gonad,

Why? Can you rent guides? I heard about heli-skiing up there, but it will sadly be way out of my budget.

Cheers again

Absolutely beautiful especially if you know where to look. Great powder under the lifts at Kurohime, Paradise and Skyline. Watch out for irate lift patrollers though! Plenty on piste too, if thats your thing.

I'm sure you had no trouble finding the pow this weekend. It was dumping when I left Saturday morning.

As for renting guides, Yes!! you can.

Luke Hanson runs a Powder Seekers service. Luke is mountain resource scientist, former ski patroller, and super nice guy that has been coming to Niseko since 1998. He definitely knows his way around and will take you out for a great day of powder. You can call him at 090-3893-5088. Here is the website http://powderprogram.com and his email is luke@powderprogram.com.

Luke also offers a Powder Safety avalanche safety course which I took and learned a ton from. I basically had no knowlege about what signs to look for (and knew it) when avalanche danger is high. Now I realize just how much I didn't know and how much more I still have to learn. It was well worth the time and money. I kept thinking, "No wonder Fattwins talks about this so much." ;\)

If you call Luke tell him Ryland sent you.

Have had many days riding with Luke out off Higashi-one traversing from the top lift no.7. I agree with ender that he is a great guide and would be great at this sort of thing. I hope he is doing really well. A great guy as well who we all shared lots of laughs with at the Chalet. Super relaxed and knowledgeable and makes a good pasta sauce as well!

He makes a pretty damn good mulled wine too! An all round Aussie bloke. Whatever happened to db...

Yes, Luke is a super bloke and damn good rider loaded with the experience that most of us dream of.

If you are in Niseko head for the peak and the tree areas around there. There have been many sightings of this animal Luke in the low lying bushes.

This has become the "Luke Hanson" thread!

Somehow this guy manages to choose the best lines imaginable and if you watch him ski its like a teleski movie! Amazing. How he manages to breathe with all that snow coming over his head all the time I dont know!

He's also mastered the art of not calling when he says he will and not answering his phone, so make sure you hammer out all the details of when and where your avie course is long before you have to go or you'll be left still trying to phone him on the morning of the course with all your friends asking where the avie course you organised is and when its going to start.

Just to let you all know, we had an amazing time in Niseko. Sadly the visibility was pretty bad and we couldn't hike the summit, but deeper powder that I have ever ridden before and an incredible 2 days was had by all.

Cheers for the advice it certainly came in handy