Hi where im staying in Hakuba & wont have internet access however im going to need it on a regular basis.

I heard somethign about a card i can purchase for my laptop to access the wireless net.

Any information on how i could access the net on my laptop would be appreciated. Cheers

There are 2 ways to connect wirelessly in Japan - one by tapping into a wireless base station that might be located in a Starbucks or someones home using a wireless LAN card in your laptop. The other is connecting directly to the internet via a wireless card that uses a mobile phone network. These are very different cards.

I know there are wireless base stations that I have connected to in Hakuba - many of the small hotels and pensions have open networks and I drove around until I found one. (One near snowbeds and one near the 7-11 if I remember correctly)

If you don't want to drive around, can't find an open network and you need somewhat reliable access, you will need an Air-H card (http://www.willcom-inc.com/en/). I have used mine in Hakuba with mostly good results but there are some places on the outskirts of the town and on the mountain where the signal (its a PHS system) is weak or non-existant. 25 hours a month is about 5,000 yen and unlimited is about 8,000 yen/month. The card itself can be had for free (Akihabara and discount shops if you contract with them) or runs about 10,000 yen. I usually get a signal of 64k or less so its best for email and basic stuff...