• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I saw it too, and thought all the hype about it being not authentic, and using non-Japanese actresses was pure crap. It was all close enough to anything most of us would know anyway. The actresses accents were the only real hint that they weren't Japanese, and unless you are a real idiot you don't pay any attention to that after about 5 minutes. Good movie all round.

...so they wernt saying:

arright everrybody, risten up! Im going to crean up my apartomento beforru the guesto comu overu. Prease fill uppu more dorinku for za guesto! And right some more incense becruse its smerry in here \:D

sorry, thats a bit much...I just saw Team America last night and that stuck in my head...off topic, my bad ;\)

Snobee

Your description of Kurosawa's films makes him sound like a head-up-the-arse pretentious git that no-one reading this forum should bother with. Yojimbo, for starters, is basically "A Fistful of Dollars" but was made first. His films weren't made for poncey [censored] in ivory tower cinemas, assuming such places exist. I say his films are "generally" well-made because some of them are shite. As ever, if you use your common sense, you can easily find out what most people think are the ones to watch. I was especially interested to hear which of Kurosawas films included "pathos", since his films strike me as quite cynical.

If anyone likes this film, that's great. There's no need to mention other filmmakers or take potshots at people who simply point out that the women in this film don't look like real geisha because they don't. You don't need to be some stuckup culture-vulture killjoy to see that. The 100% fictional duo Starsky and Hutch got an authentic-looking remake with characters and cars that thankfully resemble the originals. Why can't geisha in a film based on a best-selling book jam-packed with detail about geisha? Millions of people around the world have happily sat there reading page after page after page after page about kimonos, combs, white makeup, fans, .... The whole caboodle. You would think they might like to see something resembling that, not some commercially safe "artistic vision" (my arse) of Asian beauty.

I'm a big fan of some the main actors, but I was disappointed with the movie after I saw it last night. I pretty much agree with Mr Wiggles.