One of the great things about Christmas must be the Christmas Puddings.

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/food_and_drink/features/article328845.ece

Some glorious ones out there, I think I had about 5 last year. When I was a kid it was a choice of one, now there's just so much to choose from (well here in uk anyway). The best one I had last year was a 'luxury' one from Marks & Sparks, fantastic it was. Very nutty.

Are you lucky enough to be able to get good ones over in Japanland?

SB - Now that's a pretty fine recipe.

The only changes I'd make to that is give the suet a BIG miss (I'm a bit adverse to organ fat) and throw in some really real butter.

And a bit more all spice, cinnamon & cloves.

Oh and some thick black rum - you know the stuff of the Carribean Pirates.

Yum.

the kids in my famiily all hated pudding (i'd probably love it now), plus the crazy aussie summer christmas weather meant

we preferred the xmas icecream pudd, rough recipe as follows:

ingredients: good quality ice cream, preferably two or more flavours.

chocolate (maltesers are great, also chocolate freckles, & pretty much any chocolate bar you like, as long as it's chopped up)

some people like chopped nuts too.

method:

soften icecream by leaving out of the freezer for a little while, not too long as it the taste will change when you refreeze it.

mix chopped chocolates into icecream.

layer into a pudding basin, cover in foil & stick it in the freezer to harden.

icecream & chocolate. who would want anything more after a huge roast meal?

(& the aussies out there may know the icecream chain 'cold rock', they pretty much do the chocolate/icecream mixeroo as their selling point. my family likes to think we invented it, but then so do most of my friends' families, too)..

"It sounds interesting I would like to try it. Can I find them in Tokyo?"

I'd say probably yes, in an imported food store, or Department Store. I know they are available in tins.

"What does eggnog look like?... Seen em in sitcoms and such... Is it nice?"

Advocaat is eggnog, yellow syrupy drink. It tastes OK but I'm not keen on liqueurs.

The recipe has quince and ginger, so it's probably medieval. It was made in autumn with all the freshly preserved fruit, and put away for three months. Thats the point, a tasty calorie bomb at mid winter, a time when historically little fresh food was avaiable.

• 1 month later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by bettyx:
the kids in my famiily all hated pudding (i'd probably love it now), plus the crazy aussie summer christmas weather meant
we preferred the xmas icecream pudd, rough recipe as follows:

ingredients: good quality ice cream, preferably two or more flavours.
chocolate (maltesers are great, also chocolate freckles, & pretty much any chocolate bar you like, as long as it's chopped up)
some people like chopped nuts too.

method:
soften icecream by leaving out of the freezer for a little while, not too long as it the taste will change when you refreeze it.

mix chopped chocolates into icecream.

layer into a pudding basin, cover in foil & stick it in the freezer to harden.

icecream & chocolate. who would want anything more after a huge roast meal?

(& the aussies out there may know the icecream chain 'cold rock', they pretty much do the chocolate/icecream mixeroo as their selling point. my family likes to think we invented it, but then so do most of my friends' families, too)..
that sounds amazing. a good alternative! i'm not a fan of christmas pudding at all.
there is a coldrock creamery along terrigal beach. mmm.
theyve just opened one in roppongi hills. havent been though.

i made pumpkin pie for christmas. it was really nice.