I had a go on one of these things the other day in an eleccy shop. It wasn't popular, the PS2 next to it was getting more attention. The racing game looked pretty but nothing that screamed much different from what I've seen before. Yawn.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

120,000 xboxes in 4 months.

It's not doing well.

-------------------------------

April 10, 2006 - Anyone who pays attention to the weekly Japanese game charts could've probably told you this, but Nintendo's Animal Crossing was the biggest game in Japan throughout the fiscal year 2005. Japanese game site Mainichi Interactive, passing along final figures for the year covering 3/28/2005 to 3/26/2006 from publisher and part-time retail tracker Enterbrain, reports that the DS game sold 2.34 million copies, placing it a few hundred thousand units over the second highest game, Final Fantasy XII (2.05 million units).

The DS dominated the top 10 software chart. The third biggest game of the year was Nintendo's DS brain training game, Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training at 1.85 million units. That title's sequel, Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training, following in fourth with 1.7 million. Mario Kart DS placed fifth at 1.21 million units.

Nintendo's portable was tops in the hardware scene as well. The DS won the hardware sales race with 4.32 million units sold, destroying the PlayStation Portable, which took 2nd place at 2.07 million units. PS2 managed 1.77 million units, followed by Game Boy Advance SP (600,000), Game Boy Micro (460,000), the extremely sold-out DS Lite (380,000), GameCube (240,000) and Xbox 360 (120,000).

In all, 2005 saw eight games reach million seller status -- higher than usual for the Japanese market. Overall software unit sales increased by 7.9%, but due to budget releases, overall sales stood at 3.09 billion yen, a 0.8% increase over the previous year. The hardware market saw a total of 10.02 million units, an increase of 23.2% over the last year. Overall revenues for hardware reached 1.635 trillion yen, 28.7% up from the previous year.

Enterbrain predicts that the DS will top the 10 million mark this year, as promised by Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, and will go on to reach 14.5 million by the end of 2007.

ok better question when you break down the units sold how many were sold to the 5 to 15 year old market? I understand the gaming market is tipping has tipped over to the adult gamers but im not asking about that.

Theres rumours that True Fantasy Live Online is being made for xbox2, that might tempt me to buy one. Else Ill wait for PS2 because it has the next generation of DVD player in it.

Jesus M$ are so stupid, why didnt they bundle something like that with the xbox2? They are just repeating the same mistakes they made with the first xbox, except this time being first to market which will (and has) counted for nothing.

And you haven't been able to get your hands on one in the US for ages due to shortages. They should ship them off from Japan over there where people actually seem to want them.

You can get some Asian/US versions of games, lots of which work on a Japanese x360, from play-asia.com. Lots of them cost less than 5000 yen and they ship free to Japan as well!

I have a Japanese 360 and get my discs from play-asia. All the "Asian" titles work and they're mostly in English as well. They usually cost around 5000 yen with free shipping, so cheaper than in Japan as well. So it is possible to enjoy the 360 here.

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby12:
Has anyone got the 360 chipped and cracked yet? I had a lot of fun with the first Xbox doing that stuff, putting in a new hard drive etc.
is it easy to do that Bobby? Id be worried that Id just F'up my Xbox and then Ive got a 3man paper weight instead of playing games/watching dvds.