Tea is great. Better than espresso.

I enjoy many types of tea. I think most important is how you make it. So many people bang a sad looking bag of crusty leaf crumbs into a mug and add hot water and then milk! It looks like a dusty puddle of water until all the artificial tea dyes start to darken to milky hot water. Quite gross, especially in a takeaway cardboard cup with a spill-proof plastic lid.

I had a smoked Chinese tea, it was good. I also like very lively slightly sweet tea (with no sugar). I would love to drink more tea but never get the chance to enjoy a good proper cup. quality loose tea leaves from a warm pot can only be beaten by a pot of boiling hot sweet black tea made over a fire when you are camping in the wilderness and feeling a bitb cold and wet.

orange pekoe is pretty much the standard tea here.

i enjoy earl grey, chai, genmai and darjeeling.

my room mate has just bought a sickenly disgusting cinnamon hazlenut dessert tea which makes the whole place smell like cinnabon.

I can't stand tea or coffee but I do remember reading a Douglas Adams book that described how to make the perfect cup of tea. It went something like this:

Purchase top-quality Earl Grey teabags from Harrods. Put two teabags into a teapot and boil water in the kettle. The instant that the water starts boiling, pour the water into the teapot (if the water isn't boiling hot, it won't release the optimum amount of flavour from the tea leaves). Let it sit for a minute. Then get your tea cup ready. If you have milk, put the milk in first. Then pour the hot tea in. Add a spoonful of sugar if desired and serve with a slice of lemon.

So there you have it!

Hey nic, I`ve always been of the impression that you should pre-heat the pot and/or cup. thats what i do anyway.

recently i was given some Greek tea- not fennel. It`s mostly flowers and stems. (have been thinkin of cuttin `em up and putin`em in me pipe?) drink with slice of lemon and some honey. Bbbuuuuueeewwdddaaful.

i nevva put milk in me tea- kinda akin to putin coke in ya whiskey.

"and if tha milk turns out to be sour, i aint tha type o` pussy to drink it"

the empire was built on tea ;\)

Here you are chaps:

Perfect Presentation

Cups and saucers should arrive already assembled on the table before the teapot is served.

The handle of the cup must point to the right.

The teaspoon should be tucked under the handle.

Cups: Don’t forget to warm the cold cups before serving

Dripmat: Always ensure that your logo is facing the customer

How to Make a Perfect Pot of Tea

Always use a good quality tea.

Always use freshly drawn water. Water that has already boiled will give a “lifeless” cuppa.

Warm the pot.

Use one teaspoon of tea per person and an extra one for the pot.

Leave a brew for four to six minutes to draw out all the flavours of the tea.

Serving a Pot of Tea for One

Warm the teapot with a splash of hot water.

Include a small milk jug with the handle facing towards the waitress.

Include a small white sugar bowl with white sugar (cubes if possible ) with teaspoon handle facing towards the waitress.

Always offer a hot water jug.

All handles should point towards the waitress.

Clean doily or dish paper for the tray.

Offer milk or lemon with two slices per person in a little dish.

After Service Care - Some Tips

Always store tea in an airtight container in cool, dry conditions away from strong light smelling products such as detergent or fruit to maintain freshness. If tea is left uncovered, it will start to lose flavour. Tea does have a shelf life of up to eighteen months. After then, it does not go 'off' as such but gradually loses its quality and character. The correct storage of tea is important as it can slow down this deterioration.

Always store different blends of tea in different containers. This is especially important with fruit flavoured teas.

If using silver teaspoons or teapots, don't forget to polish them daily to prevent tarnishing. During the day, always remember to dry silver teapots immediately after washing to prevent unsightly water marks.

• 4 months later...