If a few of you or a full car - go by car. Easier, less hassle, more fun, less expensive and you can go where you want when you want.

Only big minus is the chance of getting caught in traffic. If you can go midweek though that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Go to any travel agency and you will find plans that include both way sincansen tickets plus Yuzawa area resort lift tickets starting from 7000 for March. I won’t recommend you the car because there is a high possibility that you will get caught in traffic on the Kanetsu High way plus that the tolls till Yuzawa exit is 4600 yen one-way. Check this also for some more on Gala.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resort_review.php?resortName=GALA%20Yuzawa&id=5

p.s. it is a very nice place if you go on a weekday, but DON’T EVEN THINK OF GOING THERE FOR THE WEEKEND!!!!!

I used to go train (or with friends) until I got rachmobile - I can tell you the feeling of freedom is more than good. \:D

Well if you start to include 30000 to 50000 Yen a month parking and insurance, depreciation there is now way the car will be cheaper then the train, but it will stay more convenient.