I hope none of us live in one of those mansions...

... that would collapse with a shindo 5 earthquake!! eek.gif I sure wouldn't be a happy camper today if I was. (Then again, I might decide to camp out if I was!!)

My house survived a lower 6 last year, so it sure could happen! The big Tokyo earthquake that is due would sure be strong enough for a shindo 5.

Quote:
eventually they'll just fall down from their own weight
I think it's all just a misunderstanding of the language used when planning. After all, nihongo wa muzukashii desu ne (even for Japanese!) At least that's what I'm told all the time.

But this is quite shocking.

There seems to be an awful lot of info about earthquakes going on these days - I'm sure more than before. Perhaps the people in the know know something?

I think that someone set some sort of cheating system up from a big company but...

The wife who is in the industry said this.

Big (giant) companies dont cheat like this and play within the laws. Big companies sell on trust, little companies sell by being cheap. She also said that people will start to off themselves pretty fast rather than fess up.

Customers in Japan are very bad also! They very much dont care about breaking the law. The wife sometimes has to tell customers that her company cant do the construction because it is illegal. People tend to want to build 30% or more over their allowed limits. Small companies tend to do this for the sale. What they do is submit one plan and then do another, ie adding an extra floor. When buying a used house you need to check these things. The government can ask you to knock it down at anytime. Ocean sekusui plays within the laws.

My house in kyoto wouldnt stand up to much of a quake. That said I dont have 8 floors above me.

Yes, it's too true that small companies sell by being cheap. The problem is the inspection company didn't check those culculation documents according to law at that time and now they say they found false evidence. It's too late!! How stupid.

Fatts, Sekisui have a display in their showroom of the number of nuts and bolts used in their houses compared with steel-brace and wooden-brace houses. They use about a quarter of what goes into a wooden house. Their point is, even if the wooden house builder tries to do it all right and doesn't have a hangover, there is ample room for human error. Judging by how the wooden house we currently live in shakes in the wind, I have a physical sense of the truth of this.

Corner cutting in buildings and infrastructure represents a very expensive form of waste...

My house doesnt blow in the wind but, it couldnt stand up to a big earthquake really. That said if the ground cracks and falls under any building it will fall down.

The cheating system, seems to have been put in place, after the private companies were allowed to compete in inspection process. There has to be some checks put into place to force companies to play by the rules. If the banks that cover those companies, had to pay out if the company broke laws, then the banks would set more checks and balances.

In the end what a huge waste of materials and time. The pull of money always does this to people though.

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:
If one guy's doing it, I can't believe that there's more than one company out there doing it. He's just the one that got busted.
My architect friends said probably many inspection companies usually check design drawings but don't check those structure calculation documents. Not only inspectors but all of us trust in structure designers do their duties. I don't think there are more structure designers like him, lack a sense of morality.
 Quote:
In the end what a huge waste of materials and time.
I'm with you.