This weekends snow experiences (Feb 7-8) Let's hear them

Just curious how everyones days went elsewhere around Japan.

I'll start. Went to Hachimantai Forest today and was greeted with epic snow conditions. On the drive down we didn't encounter too much new snow so I was counting on maybe marginal conditions at the mountain. I'm glad I was wrong - ended up skiing the best conditions I have ever skied in Japan (snow-wise). I probably also skied the best 4 hour session of my life today. The powder was waist to chest deep and very light and fluffy due to the cold temps. I couldn't believe how much control I had today and just how 'ON' I was. I was picking lines that I normally wouldn't in such deep powder - making split second decisions and going between trees, catching a route out of the corner of my eye and arcing the perfect turn to get over to it. I don't know, everything was just clicking.

I didn't have one wipeout all day and every single run was incredible. My most memorable run came right under the second chair through completely untracked bliss. I have a bit of a cold right now, so when I got a little winded I tended to breathe out of my mouth. On this run, I almost choked myself on the snow from the faceshots I was receiving on every turn. Seriously - I literally gagged on the snow that was being forced down my throat!

You may be wondering why I say a 4 hour session up above. Well, 2 runs before lunch, I had a cornice crumble underneath me and I fell into a hidden tree well up to my chest. As I was digging myself out, I stumbled a bit and twisted my ski. I weigh around 210, so there was a ton of force on my ski and my (bad) leg. The ski finally popped, but not before I gave my bad knee a good twist. I did two more runs after this, not thinking much of it. After lunch, however, I had trouble putting any weight on the thing. I tried one more run and the pain was pretty bad so I called it quits. It's swelled up a bit and there is a slight 'burning' pain to it. I'm pretty sure I know what that means. I just had the damn thing fixed mad.gif

Anyway, an awesome day and I'm not too bummed out - In fact, still pretty stoked. Some ice and lots of Asahi should help things out, but Hakkoda is off for sure tomorrow.

Oh, and I got this much footage today - - It was snowing way too hard and it was way too cold and windy to take the camera out. I really had nobody to film anyway today and nobody to film me since Senor CheeseRipper wasn't with us. Bummer I'm going to miss Hakkoda with him tomorrow \:\(

So, let's hear how everyone elses days went! Hope you all scored! \:D

That keeps happening to me on here \:D

Nope, no new vid. Too cold, windy and snowy, but the powder was excellent \:D I may be simply filming the rest of the season if this knee doesn't shape up. I've got faith it will get better. If that doesn't work, I may have to re-invent drunk skiing to deal with the pain \:\)

dude watch that bloody knee I think we all like the postive happy go lucky much better than the one who was sad and unhappy last year due to the knee.

Get it good and iced and dont get stupid when drunk. PS there is a soccer game to watch on Fuji 2.5 hours of sports ice a liquids.

Glad you had a good day Im heading up as soon as the wife gets home.

No worries there mate. Even if the knee did go south on me again, I have a different perspective and attitude about things this time. In the past, I would have kept skiing on the thing even after it hurt until it got really bad. At least I'm realizing my limitations to a point now. Shit, I'm just not invincible like I used to think I was and I have begun to act accordingly. Now, I just have to remember that 20 feet may be a bit high of a drop for me these days and that jumps - oh my - do have hard landings and are bad for a twice reconstructed knee. \:\)

This video thing this year has me really stoked. I'd be happy just out filming my friends and putting clips together from everyone if that's what it comes down to. At least this year I've gotten half a season under my belt, a great half season, whereas last year I skied in total pain year round and skied poorly at that.

Anyway, I hope you get to feeling better and have a great 4 days on the mountain! Oh, and I only have the crappy base channels to watch. I'd dig on some soccer right now though if I could get it.

Wow! What a day of skiing :-) It all started at the Base Exchange parking lot even before the sunrise set. This chilly morning I was the first to arrive and a bit bit antsy to be skiing Hakkoda even with my cold kicking my arse! Finally, a few minutes after 7 o' clock the ski van shows up! Then my other buddy shows up, but wait, we are still missing our fouth skiier. :-( After a few minutes of waiting and a no show, we headed for our journey. We finally arrived after about 2hrs on the road. Everyone that came along was really excited to be at the Hakkodas. The weather was typcial Hakkoda weather...cloudy and snowy with no visibility. This is the norm and would not put a damper on skiing too much. One of my buddies ran into a huge deal on the top of the gondola. This of all places isn't the best place to have a problem with your equipment! The other day he bought new ski boots. Well, this was his first time skiing on the new boots. The bidings are set to far back and they won't adjust any further. We are thinking of what we can do. Should he just snowshoe down the the mountain? Maybe, have him try our skis? That's a fantastic idea we all say. My buddy adjusts mine inside and they fit! Well, we put our skis on and trouble hits really hard. He falls right out of my skis while he stomps on the snow. This isn't good at all and this is are first run of the day :-( The only choice was to ride the gondola down. Poor fella! He told us everyone was looking at him funny when he jumped out with skis in hand and he had two punches on his 5 ride card just like that. Lucky he was able to rent a pair of Pocket Rockets for the remainder of the day. The weather wasn't the greatest at times, but we still skied some amazing powder that was a good waist high. This is what skiing/boarding is all about. Just enjoying friendship and doing what you love. So do yourself a favor and get out as much as possible this year! Plucky, if I left anything out my bad. I think the medication is kickin in.

Lucky you ripper! I was on telephone standby cause of this damn team visit or I would have went with you guys...talked to Plucky last night about it but no could do...I'm still pissed I had to work yesterday and stick around today...I think I'm gonna take leave tuesday to make up for it, then go down south to geto for the weekend...we'll have to hook up the weekend after next...

ray

Hakuba was ridiculously good!! Took a sickie on thursday and friday and both days were epic with bottomless dry light powder. The most epic was Saturday though. . .

Sooooo deep!!! I was choking on the powder and I'm on a board. My skiing mates were up to their necks in it.

AWESOME!

Sat: Hit kagura...made the first tram up again (7:30)...heaps of snow there...it was a bit heavier than my last trip, which made some flat bits a pain, but otherwise it was great...I was choking on my face shots all morning...

Sun: Tried Naeba...this mountain is really incredible, and I actually think it is waay better than kagura...the tree runs here are easily some of the longest and greatest I have done in Japan...no joke!! The pow was knee to waist deep and much lighter than the stuff at kagura...just incredible....

god, I love skiing in japan...!!!!!

danz

Its so nice to hear about everybodys epic powder weekend!!! Im so jealous! I miss being up in Niseko and just imagine with each word that you write about the dry/deep powpow in Strawberries, Miharashi, or Hana3 - my three fav spots besides going off the peak at Niseko.

This year is a loss clap.gif Keep those stories coming and take care of your injuries Plucky. Did you have a torn Meniscus or ACL or something?? I shudder at the thought of that. Tore my Medial Meniscus once and that sucked... I hope its nothing serious! Peace

Medication can be very relaxing though cool.gif

i too can happily report a couple of lung fulls of snow. laid first to about fifth lines on every slope as they opened, in knee to waist deep fluff.

also saw a kamoshika up to its neck in snow....it looked like a teddy bear jumping through the snow.

Oze Iwakura and Hodaigi in Gunma were very fun as well. Lots of untracked in the trees and under the lifts that me and my mate nearly tracked out!

Oze Iwakura was SKIERS ONLY until last year so there are still places that say SKIERS ONLY. We ignored those places and found epic stashes in the trees. Lots of fun but I think I will be back at Kagura next weekend!

Hey Plucks, great report and I'm sure the knee will be fine. I had a op myself last summer and the thing still works but has its limits...a bit of swelling in there can make all kinds of things feel funny or hurt wrong, but a few days later, all is forgotten and good again.

Keep up the ripping good yarns!

\:D