What do you do when you have been totally offended?

I have just had a telephone conversation with a (seemingly ex-) customer and without going into details I was just totally offended by his attitude and what he said to me. I'm kinda shocked right now and trying to think back at the exact situation that he seems to be referring to and for the life of me I am totally 100% sure that what I did in that situation was not only polite but totally correct and in no way offensive to him.

Anyway, his call now he seemed to use the time to "get back" at me and really laid into me - starting with the "I'll speak directly just like an American person would, is that ok". confused.gif Then he laid into me. When I said that I could not quite remember the full details and asked him to remind me, he came back saying he felt sorry for me, I was kawai-so and it's my big failure!!! While what I did back them might well have been "not Japanese style" but I sure was polite. He seemed to be using the "not Japanese style" thing to get at me.

I should really just forget it because he is obviously a bit of a loon, but it still was not nice to be on the end of that kind of thing.

\:\(

Problem is Yamakashi I'm not exactly sure what it is I was supposed to have done that was so bad.

(And I hate "saying sorry" or implying that if I know I do not need to do that).

I know I should just try to ignore it, but it's difficult. I don't want him going round spreading rumors about me or whatever....

I dont know what the situation is but if youre that worried about it, call the person back and ask exactly what you did wrong that you deserved to be told off...

I dont know you but if you yourself dont know what happened then most likely the customer had no right to go off on you...unless its one of those intricate Japanese thangs... wakaranai.gif

Thats it yamakashi - he would not tell me what I did so wrong..... when I (very very politely in Japanese) asked him to remind me, thats when he went off about me being kawai-so and he feels sorry for not knowing what I did wrong....... so I couldn't find out! I have an idea of the situation he might be talking about, but with that (very small issue!) I was certainly not doing anything wrong and was totally polite about it.

(I think if you asked most people that know me, they'd describe me as being a very polite and good mannered kinda guy - I'm almost the opposite of the aggressive "straight to the point" - and incorrect - stereotype this guy seems to have of foreigners).

UG:

Sounds like a guy with too much time on his hands.

Not the sort of customer you want anyway (high maintenance - low return). You're better off without him.

Chalk it up to experience and go with the customers who are worth keeping.

To the original subject line question, if I have been offended by someone like that I would definitely try to find out what the problem is. Seems he's not talking on that though, which is mighty strange. He basically sounds like a strange man, sorry to hear about it. As misorano said, put it down to experience.

What I did is almost a non-story, it is so insignificant.

Unless, of course, I really am just totally unaware of some terrible crime I did at the same time - but I'm 100% convinced I did not.

I've been asking around actually about this guy. Without telling people my story (or even giving hints) the general opinion seems to be a polite "oh, Mr xxx - he's a henjin" which is reassuring.

Why don't you tell him to tell you the whole deal in english and not mix japanese into it ( kawai so etc)

Sounds like a dick.

If you are sure you did nothing wrong then don't waste ya time thinking about it...

Obviously sounds like he's strange!

If he persists, a left hook usually works best for me..

If someone is like that with me and I'm sure of my innocence, I just feel sorry for them for a short while then walk away. No point in wasting your nervous energy on it.

yeah you gotta make sure you keep all your nervous energy bottled up untill your good and ready to have a full blown panic attack, and fall to the floor twitiching and whimpering like a vegetable. shifty.gif

A vegetable that that has miraculously learnt to twitch and whimper that is.