• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that there are many things in English we dont think about when we use. For example Australians calling English people 'POMS' I dont use it anymore because some of my English friends get offended.

But surely it should be pointed out just how offensive it is a word to use to describe people. If I went around in Oz calling people Japs or something similar, I could be taken to court.

When my boy is at his football school and the heat is on in games, the other kids yell at him "Gaijin, pass! Pass!" As we educate him not to be small-minded and easily affronted, he doesn't get offended by it.

O11 I suppose its a case of the 'bigger man' thing eh?

I dont get offended so to speak, just shake my head and roll with it. Like someone said before you just take the good with the bad. I just wonder if there will ever be an 'education' of the true meaning of the word, even though it is not usually used to offend. Maybe except in FT case confused.gif

When I was in the uk, I heard people referring to Pakistanis living nearby as Pakis. When they said it, they were not meaning to be racist - they just didn't think about it. I think the "gaijin" thing considerably more "innocent" than that. It only becomes offensive when it is used with that intent.

It usually doesn't bother me at all.

Referring to pakistani's as 'paki's' as far as I'm concerned is deemed to be racist in all of the UK. I have a few pakistani friends and they would clout me if I used it. Were the people using it British themselves? because it is commonly accepted now that using the word is very much not politically correct and those using it are being racist and aware of it. You may get people of older generations using it without even thinking about it but I believe that is because racism was culturally permisible when they were growing up.

I certainly agree with you that gaijin is less offensive though \:\)