• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Quote:
Other products frequently taken included shower gel, sewing kits, bathrobes and "Do not disturb" signs.
Not sure about Do Not Disturb signs but shampoo and shower gel is definitely part of the deal.

Accidentally took a hairdryer once. Boyfriend packed it thinking it was mine. Felt guilty about that. Always take shampoo & toothbrushes and little things like that. Useful for camping trips.

I just went on a trip with the girlfriend and when we were leaving she came out of the bathroom, opened up her bag and dropped a big handfull of stuff into it.

I asked her if she was going to use all of it. She said yes. I said bullshit. I can bet that it's already been incinerated at the garbage dump.

When is she going to use the shitty toothbrush, generic shampoo/conditioner, bad soap etc.

• 2 weeks later...

People stealing stuff from hotels is one of the reason these are so expensive (not saying they would not be otherwise). It is alarming to see how many people consider this to be a normal fringe benefit. The honest people always end-up subsidizing the others (same applies for insurance, etc...), not to mention that most of the stuff ends up in the bin soon after anyway...

I also do not want to generalize as some places do expect you to take some stuff with you (the tiny towels in some onsens, etc...) but I am afraid that most take stuff that is not meant to be taken. As for the shower gel etc..., meant to be used on the spot, not to be stocked-up and taken away to be used at home.

Some of the people on this forum work very hard to run a small hotel / pension. I wonder what they would think about people thinking it is normal to nick stuff from hotel rooms.

It reminds me when I lived in Singapore, I saw some people steal the tooth-picks and the paper towels from restaurants!!! I guess part of the deal as well.

These are the people who make leaving in society very unpleasant. Too bad some of them find their way onto the slopes as well...

Anybody who does not "nick" from hotels out there?

If it's a nice big bottle I won't take it. But if it's a small sachet of shampoo and the like - that is something I would take no problems.

Quote:
As for the shower gel etc..., meant to be used on the spot, not to be stocked-up and taken away to be used at home.
Used in the hotel or taken home - does it make any difference to the hotel?? Not sure I can see any difference there. Bottom line is surely the hotel expects it to be gone in most cases.

There is an very old saying where I come from:

"He who steals an egg eventually steals a cow"

There is another saying: "never piss against the wind" which I am obviously doing right now, but I beg to differ in this case.

One person nicking does not make much difference. Many people nicking do make a difference. It is not about the bottom line of the hotel as much as what it says about your ethics and the moral fabric of our society. I guess there are no small benefits eh?

If many people go to your place and take one small item each, soon you will only be left with the lightbulbs (until Frannyo shows up lol.gif )

2PM, that is exact, straight to the heart of the issue. I do not think people mean any harm, otherwise they would not be talking openly about it on this forum, it is just they view things from a different angle. I doubt I can convince them, but I am just bringing another view. I guess it is all about diversity of opinions...

Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:
There is another saying: "never piss against the wind"
I have pissed into the wind before
It wasn't a pleasent experience and as it was sudden strong wind I got covered from head to toe. Good thing I had been in the mountains for more than a couple days and already had a fowl smell going on.

I agree with you SerreChe. I don't steal anything from Hotels. It's a waste and almost always ends up in the garbage. I don't want to pay more for a room cause the hotel has to raise prices to replace the Shampoo, towels and bathrobes.