• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Necterines are the best-don't see them much in Japan. Cherries are a great Xmas time treat at home too. I don't really eat much fruit as I'm more into veges and fruits pretty excy here. Bananas anyone? My girl eats golden zespri most mornings.

Peaches, Apricots, Passion Fruit, nectarines, plums, grapes, mangos and bananas all used to be confumed in great amounts in summer as we had heaps of trees. Summer geri!

I can't buy fruit in Japan, too exy, so I send the Mrs. out for that!

i'm guessing something to do with cheap imports from taiwan/philipines?

not sure, but damn they're tasty (i grew up on aussie bananas which had no flavour, these actuallly taste like banana)

am going grape crazy this week, my next-doorn neighbour keeps giving them to me (she brought me two bunches today, both kyouho /kyohou? & very tasty).

here's a question - how come we can't eat the skin of japanese grapes? i love sultana grapes back home - seedless, sweet & easy to eat.

over here, i'm still getting used to popping the inner flesh into my mouth, tossing out the skin & swalling some monster seeds.

does anyone like persimmon? or papaya? these are the only two fruits i really don't enjoy, i think.

My Hawaii house has a lemon and a lime bush (perfect for those days when you want to walk out to the beach and have a few Corona's). I also have a mango, lychee, and tangerine tree. I've also produced banana's and avacado's. Banana tree's are pretty fickle though and often fall ill for whatever reason. But the avacado's once you get them fruiting, they live for a long time under pretty much any conditions. I love my little avacado tree. I've got two trying to grow here in Sendai at the moment.

Japan offers delicious peaches, grapes anad strawberries. The best I've had anywhere.

The price of some department store melons I still can't find justification for. In general though, I think this country produces some pretty tasty fruits!

What you are paying for with the melons, is that they are hand reared. Outside Japan you never taste a watermelon as sweet. Obanazawa melons get top price in the markets, and I've watched them being grown. They are grown on higher, well drained ground. As soon as the snow has gone, the fields are ridged. The plants go in through plastic sheet, and the young melons are placed on straw mats. The first melons to come are rejected.

A lot of the peaches grown in Yamagata are wrapped while they are still on the tree, so they are perfect when picked. We do very well here for cherries, melons, stone fruit and apples. Not to mention the rice, soba, ayu...

Bettyx, persimon and payapaya...dai suki! In Hawaii you have to go to China Town to get persimon but papaya grow all over the place.. just gotta park your car and grab 'em off the tree (mango's work in the same way). Guava also grow all over the place in Hawaii..when I was a young guy (15) my friends and I used to have 'guava fights' like others have snow ball fights.

We used the guava that had already fallen from the tree and were over-ripe. This was on the Big Island. I don't see so much guava on Oahu. I know what you mean about Mililani. All of West Oahu is getting developed. But you can still cruise out to the North Shore and get your free pineapples. \:\)

Yah, H3 is finished. They opened it by allowing people to sort of have a 'ceremonial walk' along it and they expected around 50,000. A couple thousand showed up. Government spending at it's finest (sarcasm). You probably know Yamakashi, A Japanese developer (someone named Wakabayashi) saught to turn Sunset Beach into a condo comunity. Luckily us voters turned that idea down..it's still country and undeveloped (sorry folks, way off subject)!

i make it a general rule to eat only fruit in the a.m. hours. reason being, the body is going through its `elimination cycle`, and fruit aids this.

if fruit is part of an evening meal, eg: fruit platter, i always eat it first. i try to avoid eating fruit AFTER a meal bcos the meal doesnt allow the fruit to pass freely. HELLLOOOO indegestion, heartburn, putrification,,, fruit generaly passes through the stomach in afew hours, whereas meats and `complicated` foods can stay in there for 1 or 2 days!

any fruit is okay by me (love everythin) but i rarely eat canned fruit ;\)