Judgement of people by names

• 1 month later...

I've just stumbled across a professor in a translation with an interesting name;

御手洗玄洋先生

Professor Genyo Washyourhands

or perhaps

Professor Genyo Toilet

Don't prejudge him though, there's nothing about hygiene he doesn't know.

• 3 years later...

dragging up on old thread here...but just saw a classic name in a news story...

Tammy Womble the name of the neighbour at the end of this story.

Womble! good thing she lives in the USA and not a commonwealth country.

At one time, the Diocesan Director of Education up around here was Paul Woodcock. Among his hirelings (which included the current Director, as it happens) his name was "splinter" from splinter dick = wood cock.

Once taught Sunday School with a Phillipa Box. Lovely lass who was the epitome of chastity as far as I knew, at any rate.

My English teacher was called Mr Dick and he was the principal of his department so on his office door he had:

"Mr Dick, Head of English" true story!!

lol

Originally Posted By: thursday
Wayne Kerr, Ben Dover, Philippa Box, Arsen Diklik rollabout

There are so many.

A boy at my kids school has the delightful name of Jack Hoffman - not so bad until you hear a group of kids saying it fast and gesturing something rather best left for private confines.

They also have the sweetest music teacher - a delicate flower of a lass - who is unfortunately Miss Seamon - her young charges are at the exact right age to get a giggle out of it on a daily basis.

But ... back on topic,

Over a number of years teaching secondary school (some at senior high level) I have some names I would NEVER EVER use for my own offspring. The recollections of a few a***wipes with these names would be enough to make me descend into the pit called "child abuse".

Steven is one. Now, I know and respect/like a number of Stevens. However the memory of ONE student with that name would make me wary about having another in a class.

Thankfully, I have retired from the classroom, so do not have that potential problem, and my baby is teaching elementary in London, (and I had the snip) so no more worries about what to call my kids!!

You know the character in Quantum of Solace called Agent Fields?

Know what here first name was?

Click to reveal..
Strawberry.

Interestingly, they didn't make a point of it in the movie, only spotted that in the end credits.

gemma-arterton-as-agent-fields.jpg

Originally Posted By: thursday
Dundee footballer,

David Goodwillie, no chaperone needed on his dates.

no Thursday, he is a Dundee UNITED footballer, naughty Dundee FC are a much crappier team than my beloved Arabs!!
He used to sport a wicked "Pat Sharpe" esque mullet

That reminded me of another footballing lemon, Celtic paid 6 million pounds for Brazilian Rafael Scheidt, his name was very apt!! Think he only played a handful of games, with the tabloids lambasting his name at every opportunity!! lol