If he can limit perception of the election to a referendum on the post office, probably he can win. Polls suggest that a majority support privatisation, and Koizumi's ratings jumped when he announced he would 'take it to the country'.

However, when other political issues are taken into account he doesn't look nearly so good.

Another aside on Horie - do the people who admire Horie actually vote? I wonder about that...

I know Koizumi san will win in my local district for sure. If I can choose a party for Hireiku, I may vote.

Actually, I don't expect so much in Japanese politics. Things like the asbestos, we have known about it's risk many years ago, but why is it big news here in Japan now?? Why trusting citizens have to suffer from cancer because of our government's fault??

I think I should learn more about democracy and capitalist economy.

Horie running for election? That bloke doesn't seem to be able to sit still for a minute.

--

Kamei's candidacy is grabbing attention all the more because Takafumi Horie, president of ambitious Internet service Livedoor Co. is running as an independent from the same district.

Horie supports Koizumi's postal privatization plan, although he is not running on an LDP ticket.

"Postal privatization is the first step to reforms," Horie said in Onomichi. "I am fighting politicians who tried to postpone these reforms."

"I watched some of that on tv last night. It showed Horiemon (?) being chased by a gang of (what looked like) fit OL's singing his name to the Doraemon theme tune. Weird."

Uhh

does anybody have this online?