it is much deeper than that. the ldp is wagamama. it thinks only of ways to keep itself in power. JA, JH, the post office and construction companies are its base. The ldp does not want to loose that base... but the pm issort of trying to adjust that way of gaining support.

its not that you are gaijin. Japan has a law that says you can vote only if you are japanese. Most people can become japanese if they want to. The problem is do yu want to give up that passort. I dont so i give up my right to vote. I still have an interest though in the politics of this country though.

Yes you are right Siren but you would have to give up being a gaijin to vote! ;\)

Is it really that easy to become Japanese?

My wife will soon have the choice to become an aussie, though meaning that she must give up her nationality, thus she would become a gaijin in her own country.... Not a good move unless you are coming for some torturous country that you dearly want to escape from!

As long as you look anything apart from Japanese it seems you are deemed "Gaijin" in this country.

On the politics issue, it seems that the PM is trying to be rather revolutionary in privatising the whole post office business (making it more "efficient" etc. is a strange concept in "unefficient" Japan) but he is being very old fashioned in the way he deals with his fellow party members, punishing them when they voted against him etc. etc. Rather contradictory, don't you think? The old and the new once again. Perhaps?

Desperation is a good description of his situation. I think that in the beginning his only goal with the postal bill was to weaken opposing factions within the LDP and strengthen his position. The whole situation escalated and he felt he couldn't go back.

Calling for elections might be the end to Koizumi-san political career and even a LDP/New Komeito majority.

All this will also influence his possible visit to Yasukuni shrine tomorrow (Aug 15th). I guess he won't do it this time as there is too much at stake and his approval rating are up again (no need to create an international stir now). He probably will send someone else go to secure support from the conservative forces in coming election.

From the Independent

================

The decision to avoid the shrine has headed off another potentially damaging spat with China and South Korea, which nevertheless expressed anger at visits by several key members of the current cabinet, including LDP Acting Secretary General Shinzo Abe who is widely tipped to take over when Mr Koizumi retires next year.

Asked why he went to the shrine, which abuts a museum that argues Japan's brutal wars in China and elsewhere were 'defensive', Mr Abe said: "I hope to convey to the world that Japan will uphold a free and democratic society and improve relations" with other countries.

================

Japan will improve relations with other countries by poking them in the eye with a pointed stick. That Mr Abe is one to watch. He's an uncommonly smooth right wing nut case. If he gets anywhere near power, Japan's relationship with China and Korea could get very warm indeed.

I couldn't agree more.

But Kid Horie learned from his mistake and knows how to chat up important allies and and how to do deals and, more importantly, has an instantly recognisable face.

This reminds me of last time the LDP had a little melt-down and let in Maruyama as Prime Minister, but this time there appears to be a viable opposition, as well as some interesting, new-blood contenders like Horie. For the first time in decades, the situation appears pregnant with possibility.

As for Horie, his brand is a little muddy now, and it's hard to discern what exactly he stands for, apart from money and fame for, well, Horie. I hope he takes a hint from the other opposition parties and produces one of these 'manifestos' that everybody talks about. I'd be very interested to see what it contains.

Anyway I think, and fervently hope, that Koizumi is toast. I can't imagine that the business world will have much sympathy this time with a man who can't seem to fathom the importance of making a few little concessions to get on better with China.

Not everyone is as well-informed as you are Ocean.

And don’t under-estimate how easily politicians can get away with kissing a few babies and by shouting empty rhetoric.

A lot of the younger people (i.e. people who are going nowhere or not satisfied with present conditions) want changes – for better or worse - and are not difficult to persuade you know. Anyone is better than the old guards they can’t do anything about and thus have no interest whatsoever.