• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Do they know cricket in Japan?

Some of them have actually played it under my tutelage. Getting them to hold onto the bat and not vulgarly cast it aside (as I believe is done in lesser sports) was perhaps the biggest challenge.

"Masaki!! If you treat that bat with the same disrepect one more time, I'll use it to hammer bales into your facial orifices!" (I took a tough love approach to teaching. It was very popular.)

Great test, haven't enjoyed watching cricket that much in ages. Rather shat off we didn't win though, but it's good for the series and the game.

And soubriquet, you are a sick man :p

Actually they were adults so I would have had to apply some advanced wicket and pad techniques before I could hold them to the fire. But I was saving that particular teaching method for the occasional die-hard who would insist on calling the game "English gateball".

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Actually they were adults so I would have had to apply some advanced wicket and pad techniques before I could hold them to the fire. But I was saving that particular teaching method for the occasional die-hard who would insist on calling the game "English gateball".
Prior to a game, a good deterrent for errant players was a generous (covert) application of Dencorub to their protector ('box') - YEEEEEOWWWWWW!!
lol.gif
 Quote:
Prior to a game, a good deterrent for errant players was a generous (covert) application of Dencorub to their protector ('box') - YEEEEEOWWWWWW!!
lol.gif ?
Did that to a mates seat in a Triathlon once, Was too late once he realised it wasn't vas!
 Quote:
Originally posted by giggsy:
Do they know cricket in Japan?
Sure, they've even got a national team. My coach in Aus was the Japanese national coach for a year.

Glad I wan't drinking when I read that...

About 10 years ago when England were in Perth for their ritual humiliation, Gower was at the mike when one of England's openers was felled by a blow to the goolies from and Australian quick. After the neccessary pause for breath and adjustments, said Aussie was beginning the run-up for the fifth delivery, when Gower drily announced "two balls left...". Man, I swear I heard the inside of the commentary box being sprayed with coffee.