2 Cats. Found one homeless in a cemetary so he naturally loves to each mochi (he used to steal it off the graves). We'll get a dog when we move back to Hawaii (a baby Rott.)

Recently got a new puppy, "Ralfie". He is a cocker spaniel crossed with a golden retriever, or what I like to call a "cock retreiver". lol.gif He is a little dude and we love him heaps (but is a lot of work). Also have the biggest cat in the world called Oscar. Not fat, just solid but he is a gentle giant. He is not too impressed about the recent addition to the familt though shifty.gif

I'll put some photos up when I get the chance

I want a dog ( golden lab) badly but my back yard is too small. Also leaving in the next year or so, so I'll just wait till I get home as I don't want them to have to sit around in quarantine for weeks or months.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I have some splendid small wildlife in my garden. My green peppers are protected from pests by a fine praying mantis. I also have started indoor and outdoor wormeries.
Vermiculture, way to go!

Does the mantis eat nomihamushi (flea beetles)? I have to grow aburanakei (rocket, mizuna, etc.) under netting to stop the little bastards. Garlic spray, chili spray, coffee grinds, all useless. No pests on my peppers mind.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I have some splendid small wildlife in my garden. My green peppers are protected from pests by a fine praying mantis. I also have started indoor and outdoor wormeries.
U mean capsicum?

> U mean capsicum?

I mean green peppers! (but yes, probably capsicum to distinguish them from shishitou).

Wormeries aren't particularly interesting in a dynamic sort of way, and they're not very photogenic either. But they're quietly satisfying, and making the outdoors one kept several little neighbourhood boys busy for 3 hours shredding materials by hand.

I haven't really taken a survey of pests in my garden (especially as the worst pests from my point of view are the mosquitoes that rise up from the local cemetery and infest my garden). But there seem to be a lot of stink bug type things, and caterpillars on the brassicas. I've been following Jackie French's ('Mulching Matilda') advice on pests - make good soil, and avoid monocropping, and the healthy plants themselves and predators will take care of the pests.

> I sometimes think that cheeseboy might count as a pet

Small children are just like the little animals they actually are.