Who here hates the word 'gaijin'?

I know a lot of foriegners use it to describe themselves, but seriously, it is starting to wear thin for me.

I'm in Canada right now, and just a little while ago i was talking to some japanese kids, and they kept talking about how hats looked so good on gaijin. So i stopped the conversation, and kept asking 'Gaijin tte nani?'. They still didn't get it, so i had to ask them what country they were in. After about 2 minutes, they understood my point. THEY were the gaijin. Its kinda insulting for me, especialy in my own home in my own country.

In Canada at least, we try to identify someone by their home country, or ethnicity. I would hope as Japan becomes more international, it can do the same.

I don't really have any problems with being called a gaijin, just don't like the way we are all put together as one by it's use.

I can understand your frustrations there, I would have reversed the situation as well and reminded them who the gaijin was!

Sure it means 'foriegner', but with some rather unsavory undertones. Gaikokujin is actually 'foriegner', and its nice that they actually acknowledge i'm from a country when they use that.

It just seems that they can't be bothered to find out where you are from, which i think is important sometimes. Maybe i'm just too sensitive, but it makes me feel like i am unworthy as a human being to even have a simple consiteration like that, the feeling that i am actually something more than just not from japan.

There is always the ubquitious 'hakujin'...

How about "gaij..gaikokujin"? D'you prefer that?

What does "gaijin" mean if not "foreigner"?

I do see your point, and often gaijin is used when the matter is completely irrelevant to the business at hand ... but, get over already anyway. It used to be a lot worse.

In Australia you will hear large slices of the pedestrian-suburbain-workingclass-uneducated population (about 75%) referring to people in the following ways (whilst using very poor grammar):

- gooks,

- nips,

- queue jumpers.

There are hundreds more.

You will then here them use phrases like:

- If you are going to live here (in Australia) then you should be able to speak Australian! [i'm not joking. A relation to my own family said it to me in Sydney. I asked if I should be made to speak Japanese given I was living in Japan. Answer: of course not!]

You almost never, ever, hear these people simply use the word 'foriegners'. That wouldn't be narrow minded enough.

What is my point: I used to kick up a stink about the word gaijin as well, but I would rather take term of reference that than the xenophobic miniature minded attitudes of the average Australian. I can't speak for other (western) countries, but I somehow doubt that any could be more narrow minded than Australia. Take a look at 1930's America and you will see Australia today (in terms of xenophobia that is a thin veil for ignorant racism).

It took me a long time to realise it, but if foreigners don't feel comfortable feeling foreign in a foreign land.... then they should go home. You are always free to leave. [that is what most newspaper letter writers in Australia direct at Arab queue jumpers who complain about Australia].

For me it depends on who says it and in what context. Most times it doesn't bother me as I feel that for many the word has evolved into being just another word for foreigner in those particular contexts, but there are times when I get really angry at the way it's used where there are obvious overtones of racism.

Language isn't static. It evolves. Most people I know's references to 'gaijin' these days is simply as 'foreigner' or even sometimes even just 'westerner'. Yes, there are still plenty of people who use it in it's derogatory context and that's when I get angry.

It may also depend on the individual person's contact with the use of the word - if you're frequently hearing/seeing it used in a derogatory sense by racist Japanese of course you'll be angry.

My own general references to 'gaijin' are as simply 'foreigner'. . But sometimes, when talking with certain Japanese people I find I automatically say 'gaikoku-jin' instead of 'gaijin' because I feel that if I use 'gaijin' it would sound (however subtly) somehow derogatory.

Spud. I don't think Australians are any worse than any other nation, and most of the xenophobia is a background hum based on ignorance rather than malice.

I agree with your comment on foreigners in a foreign land. There are very few caucasians where I live, so I'm an object of curiousity, especially for the kids who like to come up for a real close look. It's ok, because I am remarkable here and I'm comfortable with being different. Fifteen years as a Pom in Oz ceertainly thickened my skin lol.gif

Gaijin doesn't annoy me that much unless used in a bad way.

In Oz japanese get called Japs and thats much more offensive to me. My mate was with his wife and someone called him a Jap FuK&Ker! Tell you what, can't wait tillI hear some red neck give my wife or friends shit coz it's gonna be my one chance to put someone firmly in ga ga land.

Some J surefres were whinging about "gaijin" in the water in OZ or bali (can't remember). I politely pointed out to think about their comments... then it sunk in!

Agree with Sunrise...Its all context - no sense ruffling your feathers over something so petty. Especially because many J-peeps are just narrow minded.

I dont like the word seppo, only cuz of the way ozzies use it. Quite a racist bunch arent yall wankers? ;\)

Seppo seems to be a word that only surfrs are comfy with.

Funny thing is that you could probably call an aussie any name under the sun and they'd just laugh it off. (besides the F word, but that would get you in the shit with anyone)