Do you use brita at home?

I want this in my office but they don't sell this in Japan...

B00067UXV8.01-A1Z3I81XEZYGWA._SCMZZZZZZZ

-Hot and Cold filtered water

-Automatic filter replacement indicator tells you when to change the filter

-3-gallon capacity bottle

-Filter included

Brita make water filters and containers for the filters, such as jugs, and Slow's thingy.

I do use it, but only for cooking with. I used to drink it, but nowadays I prefer to drink bottled water. I use a smaller unit, it holds 1 or 2 litres. I just think that Tokyo water needs more than a regular filter. At least the water around where I am. The canal nearby sometimes runs a rust colour.

Kintaro, did you see the one in the picture?

Yeah, same here sunrise. I don't want to drink tap water in Tokyo. I'm trying not to buy bottled water, either.

we use brita at home. more than anything its just nice to not have to drink tap water and keep it in the fridge so we always have water that is always cold.

in the summertime i hate the lukewarm water that comes out of taps.

Slow, you should better drink bottled water if you don’t like tap water like sunny does.

Water purifiers remove together with the harmful elements many minerals that your body needs. Especially the one’s that use carbon filters through the purification process. They practically strip water from almost all its minerals and what you end up drinking has no value for your body. It is almost the same as drinking distilled water.

I usually buy mineral water from the supermarket for drinking, and use tap water for cooking.

There are two reasons why I don't want to buy bottled water.

1. I'm trying not to buy any beverage in PET bottle.

2. Since we have tap water which is drinkable, I don't feel right to buy bottled water in Japan. There are so many people who can't get safe water in this world.

So, I thought Brita was the answer to me.

I can’t argue about the things you say, because it is your way of living I guess and in the bottom line you are right about not wanting to buy PET-water.

I just honestly think you don’t really need something like a water purifier, because it actually degrades the water quality than improving it. If you are worried about some rust or filth that might be in the tap water from the pipes etc, a simple filter that fits on the tap is more than you need.

Slow, I honestly don't know. Does Brita have a variety of products? I'm only sure that I saw a Brita container for sale...not sure which one. Sorry.

That's an interesting link, Tsonda.

Personally I'd prefer to drink spring water that's come in a glass bottle but that doesn't seem possible here. I'm sure bottled water isn't the best, especially with whatever interaction it may have with the plastic it's contained in, but I definitely prefer it to the tap water here.

Slow, you can order larger water containers. A friend I know does it. They deliver and then replace the empty container when you're done. I don't have room to hold one or else I'd consider it.

Filters on taps can also take out those chemicals that are needed to kill bad things in water - rendering it delicious, but unsafe.

Bottled water is an environmental disaster area. All the things that are done to bring water to you in bottles mean that in the future, water will be more scarce and of worse quality. There's no 'maybe' about it. If you want to drink spring water, go and find a spring and live next to it.

Morally speaking, you should put up with what comes out of your tap, and make whatever efforts are necessary to ensure that it tastes OK because it's being handled responsibly.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:

Water purifiers remove together with the harmful elements many minerals that your body needs. Especially the one's that use carbon filters through the purification process. They practically strip water from almost all its minerals and what you end up drinking has no value for your body. It is almost the same as drinking distilled water.
You would need to drink a swimming pool amount of water to get any nutritional benefit from water, all the minerals you need are contained in the food you eat.
Stripping miniscule trace amounts of positive minerals or leaving similar traces of dioxins, arsenic, lead etc behind? I will take my chances y stripping everything out and drinking pure water. Tap filters and Brita filters are pretty uselss, they dont get the nasties in the water.

Ocean, I wasn't aware of the environmental issues of producing bottled water. Thanks for pointing it out. I do indeed hope to be living near a natural spring before too many more years have passed.

Dont know if this is true or not but I use to love the water I drank in Saijo, Higashi-Hiroshima. Thought it was great. But, people always asked me wernt you afraid to drink the water in Hiroshima because of the bomb and radiation fallout? I always said no. Now, in Kobe, I heard somewhere that the water is actually among the most polluted in Japan. Maybe I shouldnt buy bottled Rokko water.

Probably a greater risk in Japan than atomic water is poison gas water. The Imperial Army were making and storing gas shells in all sorts of places that people have forgotten about, and when that stuff gets out and into the water, it certainly puts curls in your hair.

I'm talking about an actual case where people drilled a well and drank the water and got very ill - from IA poison. And they keep finding these shells in all sorts of unexpected places.

• 2 weeks later...

No, Ocean. I wanted to say there are too many advertisements or rumors around tapwater to know what the fact is.

I can understand if this is in less-developed countries and tourists say "we have to be careful about the tapwater, we should drink bottled water." But in Japan or developed countries, we still have some people believe "bottled water is better than tapwater, tapwater in Hiroshima is dangerous", something like this. I'm wondering where these dislike or suspiciousness of tapwater in the developed countries are coming from??