Bummer - I was in the waves when it hit here in Chiba - I missed the whole thing. It really scared my wife (she was at home) and she's usually pretty calm during quakes...

Actually under a desk (the space is usually too small) or dooway is not a good place to be. Its better to lie down beside a desk, or large object that will not compact if hit with something really heavy. Boxes of paper compress less than furniture. There will be space beside large objects that compress. Most survivors have been found beside large objects, not under them...I read a detailed article on the net somewhere about this - it made a lot of sense because it looked at real damage after an earthquake, rather than simply following conventional wisdom...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as well there were no tsunamis..... I recall that Slow said she was going sailing today. She probably didn't feel anything either.

Glad to hear you guys are okay aside from shock. Were you sailing or swimming?

Thanks sunrise,

I was on the train just after sailing. Train stopped for a few minutes and we haeard the earthquake warnings which said keep away from the sea. Was it 4 in Yokohama? Then, probably same here.

I was lucky I wasn't alone in my apartment in Tokyo at that point. I should tell my parents where to meet in a time of big earthquake.

yeah, hope everyone is okay.

that sure was big!!! i usally dont feel `em when i`m outside, but... was actually @ Tokyo Sea Life Park(?) when it happened. we were watchin tha penguins and they were spinnin out. they were swimmin in circles like a whirlpool and then every three minutes or so they`d swim to tha rocks but wouldn`t get out! it was bizzare eek.gif . saw `em earlier in tha day and they were just doin their own thing, uno, swimmin around, catchin a few rays... tha girl said that sometimes animals do wierd things before an earthy. sure enough, about 10min. later it happened.

couldn`t make last train home cos tha lines were closed, which is why i`m @ cafe now. trukkin spewin abit though. thought i was gonna get to spend tha night in a hotel wakaranai.gif

Thats right and that's why just the magnitude doesn't really have much meaning to normal folk for who the most important thing is how we feel the thing.... it's all about the land you're on. Seems that parts of Tokyo are built on not the most sturdy of land.

I was just looking back to see where the epicenter of the Niigata one was, but couldn't find it. It was pretty much in the middle of it all, but maybe not Kawaguchi - the place that got the most moving.

While I was looking I found this and was surprised to see so many 5強s within the first 24 hours, I didn't realise there had been so many big ones like that....

日) (時分)

2004/10/23 17時56分6.8 6強

2004/10/23 17時59分5.3 5強

2004/10/23 18時03分6.3 5強

2004/10/23 18時07分5.7 5強

2004/10/23 18時11分6.0 6強

2004/10/23 18時34分6.5 6強

2004/10/23 18時36分5.1 5弱

2004/10/23 18時57分5.3 5強

2004/10/23 19時36分5.3 5弱

2004/10/23 19時45分5.7 6弱

2004/10/23 19時48分4.4 5弱

2004/10/24 14時21分4.9 5強

lol.gif

Now that we've recovered from the quake, we better get ready for the typoon that is on its way to Tokyo...Wednesday will be a really wet day...life is so exciting in Japan...

Quote:
Originally posted by fjef:
Now that we've recovered from the quake, we better get ready for the typoon that is on its way to Tokyo...Wednesday will be a really wet day...life is so exciting in Japan...
Make that Tuesday..well down here anyway.

Less cryptically, anything that has potential energy and is unstable may be upset by an earthquake. We have a spectrum of mass transport processes which ranges from rockfall at one end, to detachment faulting, which move blocks of rock the size of small countries, at the other (rare). Avalanches certainly fit within this range.

My nearest mountain (Haiyama) is a textbook classic example of sector collapse. From my bedroom window, I can look directly inside the cone, because about 2/5ths of the volcano has slumped and rotated out, to form a serrated line of hills at the base. It's a bit like a cwm, but definitely not a glacial feature.

I've yet to see any glacial landforms in Japan, anyone know of any? \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
I've yet to see any glacial landforms in Japan, anyone know of any? \:\)
Yap, Gassan mountain in Yamagata pref host an active glacier. The rest of the Japanese ark comprises mostly of marginal rock-formations and some plutonic intrusions and of course magmatic depositions. hope this helps \:\)

Japan is nirvana for anyone interested in dynamic landscapes (NZ too). I've put together a little layout of Hayama (not Haiyama) which shows the side fallen off the volcano very nicely. Volcano is red, slump is pink.

hayama6hl.th.jpg

The rim of the cone is the high ridge, and the hills in the foreground are the slump.

1010153c6ih.th.jpg