• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Chiba was a 5 on the J-scale. I felt like my classroom was going to collapse and it was only a 4 here in Yokohama. I can't imagine how scary it must be in one stong enough to make buildings fall down.

No probs, very scary hey. I cannot imagine anything many times stronger than that. That was well scary.

What goes through everyone's minds/ What do you actually do during an earthquake? I know all the children at school are taught to dive under their desks but usually I just stand near the door and wonder whether its going to get any bigger. I think about what I'm going to do if it gets bigger (gather my stuff etc). When I'm at home at night I usually locate some clothes ready to put on but I never actually get dressed. Stupid really cos if it did get bigger it would be too late for me to do anything about it.

...oh and then I usually check this site to see what everyone else is saying about it!

I hope everyone is ok. Scares me just thinking about it and seeing the images on tv.

I'll tell you what I did last October in Niigata, me jane, which was shindo 6 where I was (so considerably more powerful than todays one) --- basically freeze. Scrambling to get under a table was not something I could have done. I was in a kinda state of shock, like an animal with car headlights shining on it not knowing what to do. My heart was getting dangerously fast and I tried to calm that down (rather unsuccessfully).

Since then I have a big torch at the front door, in the bedroom and another one in the main room. Got some other things as well ready in case, including a blanket and stuff. Of course hopefully I'll be long gone before another big one decides to do it's stuff in Niigata.

this time it was:

1. put the laptop to sleep

2. stand by a safe wall

3. suddenly realise I should turn off the gas valve so run to do that

4. watch everything rattling away wondering if anything's going to fall, including my studio monitors and laptop

4a. suddenly realise I should close my laptop so I run to do that

5. stay by the wall

6. after it dies down go and look outside

7. check here to see if anyone else has written and write if they haven't

8. check the JQuake sites (last time I did this it was awhile for the info to appear so this time I went to SJ first).

This is the first time I heard noise associated with a quake aside from just the rattlings inside the room.

No doubt worrying about my laptop is probably stupid, but turning off the gas is wise. It didn't seem to be getting any worse so that's when I ran to close the laptop. I don't really have any safe places to go in my place, so probably a wall is safest away from objects that could fall on me. I guess I could have run outside, too... but that's also dangerous. I'm probably one of those "I don't really know what to do in a quake" people. But, as you say, if it's a big one there's really no time to do much at all before it's impossible to stand up / move around.

It's interesting to see how even in Tokyo the shindo level ranges from 1 - 5, so some people got a very different experience!

As you said, these forums are also a great place to go after a shake lol.gif

Well it is on tv, I was just meaning the menacing low rumbling noise of an earthquake - very scary it is.

How are you feeling now - ok? There don't seem to be aftershocks much.

Best wishes to you all!

Shit that sure was scary, I'm in Chiba and it was a real big shake here. No damage here and there doesn't seem to be too much news about any big damage it seems.

But I'm pretty shook up.

I bet, Worm. Glad all is okay over there.

Thanks Sanjo. I'm okay. I think it would have been hairier for those over in Chiba than here in Tokyo, but still it was strong enough that the walls and floor were bouncing around like a wrestling ring canvas. it's always freaky, even if it's not that strong. Sure puts you into present time.

Yes, the sound - I can only imagine it would be a lot louder in a stronger quake.

Quote:
Sure puts you into present time.
Definitely.

Suddenly lots of trivial unimportant worries and things that you felt were important reveal themselves to be what they really are.

Get those torches in!

Take care!

Seems I got off lightly with this - where I was it was just a shindo 3 and I didn't really notice it (was in a car at the time). Hope everyone ok.

One of the brilliant things about this site is the (for want of a better word) community thing that exists and all the "life support sodan" available from other members \:D Something like this happens and within an hour there's an active thread up and running. Ace. \:\) (Anyone able to lend us some cash?)

I was walking around downtown Shonan and felt nothing. The trains all stopped though which meant I hung around for 2 hours doing nothing ... Glad everyone is OK though. Earthquakes are scary things.

Where is Shonan?

Hope everyone is fine. I was taking a look at the map of the shakes and was surprised like sanjo said at how it varied so much in different parts of Tokyo. It was down to 1 in some places officially in Tokyo, while we even felt a 2 here in Niigata.

I think usually Shonan means along the Suruga bay inbetween Zushi city and Hiratsuka city. So, Kamakura, Fujisawa and Chigasaki city are also included.

Hope everyone is alright.