who would have thought that it would taste so good and refreshing? i only drank it partly out of desperation because there was no other option besides asahi super dry at our school enkais... but i'm enjoying one right now... which is probably the reason why i would start such a dumb thread lol.gif

Test: Go into any bar and deliberately ask for whiskey and water (as opposed to gin and tonic, or rum and coke). Then see how good and refreshing it tastes. Its only merit is in comparison with warm, 40-minutes opened Supaa Dorai.

Been there, done that. The next comparison is this: Having dinner at home with the Captain knowing that everybody at the enkai hates you vs. being at the enkai hating yourself. Go on, give it a whirl.

i had a whiskey and water at a little bar in hanamaki last weekend... that's where i decided that i really liked it... a nice glenfiddich special something or other...

this is the girl who didn't drink beer or winein nz and only liked sweet drinks...

Quote:
Been there, done that. The next comparison is this: Having dinner at home with the Captain knowing that everybody at the enkai hates you vs. being at the enkai hating yourself. Go on, give it a whirl.
huh? what are you talking about? why would everybody at the enkai hate me? i thought they really like me... i really like them... so they make fun of me by calling me a big drinker... but one of the other teachers is the heavy drinker ;\)

Oh sorry. Your post gave me flashbacks of serried ranks of sweating toothbrush glasses filled with Suntory whiskey and water. I thought maybe you had tried one of them as an alternative to the 'Asahi Super Dry thrust at you like a weapon/penis' horror.

> why would everybody at the enkai hate me?

Try not going to one to test the truth of the 'misery seeks company' truism.

You destroyed perfectly good Glenfiddich with water??!! eek.gif

Try it with ice-cubes - very smooth.

To justify it all, here is a quote from 'Cheers':

The Buffalo Theory:

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of alcohol eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few drinks.

\:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by SubZero:
You destroyed perfectly good Glenfiddich with water??!! eek.gif

Try it with ice-cubes - very smooth.

From scotchwhisky.net:
 Quote:
Many who drink Scotch whisky neat say they do not want to spoil the taste by adding water. However, equally as many will say that adding a touch of water, particularly if it is pure, soft spring water, (ideally the same spring water used in the making of the particular whisky!) serves to enhance the distinctive aroma and flavour of a whisky. Tap water may contain high amounts of chlorine and therefore would not complement any whisky - your best bet is to opt for bottled Scottish mineral water!

Adding ice to a whisky is such as a shame because it will only dull the fine taste and wonderful aromas. Similarly, carbonated water is not an ideal accompaniment for whisky as it may interfere with the aromas also.

Adding mixers such as ginger ale, soda and even coca cola, is a popular trend, however it begs the question - why drink whisky at all if you need to mask the taste?

I like both ice and water with my whisky

In japan, I couldn't believe how much sun tori whisky costs, especially given how cheap some of the scotch ones were

i'm not an expert, i just drink stuff if i like it \:D

i must say that adding water and ice for me eliminates that volatile (in the scientific sense) kinda alchohol vapourish effect you get with straight spirits when drunk straight and i can better enjoy the flavour. having said that, i had an excellent tequila shot a wee while back, it really did taste good!