Japan racism 'deep and profound'

c'mon, you people are dreaming.

Japanese Americans are not American

Korean Americans not American

Chinese Americans are not American

Asian Americans are not American

African Americans are not American

Why the qualification? If you are not white, then you are not American. White American? How is that used?

Get real. The Japanese are hellova less racist than you think.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Japan are way behind other 1st world countries when it comes to issues of discrimination. It is very common here to hear things like "Oh, Im very sorry, but the landlord doesnt accept foreigners" when looking for a place to live. This is racial discrimination. A Japanese person once said to me that this is not racism, its a totally different feeling. I pointed out that if this happened to him in England, he could take the landlord to court, sue him, and he would almost certainly win significant compensation, because he was a victim or racial discrimination.

On the other hand, does the multiculturalist ideal really work in practice anyway? Looking at other countries, you have to say, maybe not... It often seems that people from other cultures seem to, by nature, form isolated "cultural islands", rather than fully integrating with each other. The london bombers were born and brought up in England. How can cultures holding seemingly diametrically opposite ideals come together without conflict? When you look at Muslim countries compared to western - in ours, individuals have rights. Women have equal opportunities. In Muslim countries, women have to cover themselves completely, cant drive, for example, and get 200 lashes and six months in prison for being gang raped. Allah forbid you be seen in public carrying such a thing as a bible. In other cultures, arranged marriages are the norm, but such a thing goes completely against what most westerners have been brought up to believe.

maybe so gary, the mosaic of multiculturalism is less than perfect. but that is a far cry from blatant state supported racism.

thursday, this is aside from the point. we are not comparing racism in japan to racism in other countries. we are discussing racism in japan and its implications on japanese people and the foreign community who try to call it home. albeit there is racism in all places on all levels, some countries make an effort to combat the problem and create a venue for legal action.

"Why the qualification? If you are not white, then you are not American. "

wrong! the title was coined and it used not by none members of said cultural community to define, but rather these are terms coined by said groups as means to assert both their nationality and their cultural past with pride.

Originally Posted By: thursday
c'mon, you people are dreaming.

Japanese Americans are not American
Korean Americans not American
Chinese Americans are not American
Asian Americans are not American
African Americans are not American

Why the qualification? If you are not white, then you are not American. White American? How is that used?

Get real. The Japanese are hellova less racist than you think.

Yeah....that might be the mind set of some people thursday and I'm sure if you spent some time in Australia you'd suffer some form of racism. Though it's more likely to come from the mouth of a drunken Yobbo on the street. They cant touch you any other way.

I believe in the great 'melting pot'. I also believe it takes a few generations for the pot to melt. The Italians and greeks that came to Australia in the 50's and 60's and their children are fully integrated and respected in our society. Sure they have might be called wogs every now and again, but there's no real malice in it.(some of my friends call themselves wogs)
If you ask anyone of ethnic origin why they stick to their own communities and don't assimilate, they'll tell you that they don't feel accepted by the the people of their new home. It cut's both ways, but I think the onus in on the newcomer to make a bigger effort to assimilate. Example, if they cant be bothered to learn the language of the people of their new home, and communicate with it's people, how the hell can they expect to be accepted?
Comparing Japan with counties like Australia, the UK or America is very difficult. Japan has been a mono culture for hundreds of years. Same hair color, same skin color, same islands..ect. Australia, the UK and a America have been a free for all.

The attitude to racism is totally different here than it is in the west. In the west we are extremely sensitive to it where as here it is a still something 'new' and therefore people get away with stuff but also I think the level is not so extreme. I think racism is, however unfashionable this idea may be, human nature to some extent. But it's not so bad here really is it? Ive never had anyone attack me or even say anything racist to me in an aggresive way in 5 years, compare that to the UK where even today people get beaten up for their skin color (that includes whites).

Back on topic - one day all the bigot oyajis will be begging for an open door policy so they can get their pension and the economy can avoid collapse - at that time things will change bigtime and it will be very interesting.

Or, maybe the descendents of the old samurai are secretly building a bomb and are gonna wipe out 'gaikoku' one day and rule the earth.

Originally Posted By: bobby12

Back on topic - one day all the bigot oyajis will be begging for an open door policy so they can get their pension and the economy can avoid collapse - at that time things will change bigtime and it will be very interesting.

See chart on far right. Who will make up the pink people.
_40140538_japan_popul_416gra.gif
 Originally Posted By: moloney
The question I have is why women are outliving men???

They drink less, smoke less, drive slower, have less dangerous hobbies and are genetically more resistant than men to disease (hemophilia etc...). Would be weird if it was the other way around. Good for them. smile.gif
  • 2 weeks later...