1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Well good or bad he had a point. If I remember correctly the Manchester bid was hardly the most impressive ever.

(Manchester got the commonwealth games a few years ago didn't it?)

Coe a complete knob? Well, for a complete knob, he sure has done a pretty excellent job in the last few.

London is an interesting decision: I seem to recall the Manchester debacle and the ill-fated Millennium Wheel - both incomplete at the crucial time.

(Lets face it, the French didn't get it because no one likes 'em! eek.gif )

Perhaps the Poms will do the usual - get the Aussies to be 'cannon fodder' and fix the problems that arise. lol.gif

Good luck to London and hope it will be a success.

Quote:
Originally posted by peterson:
Well good or bad he had a point. If I remember correctly the Manchester bid was hardly the most impressive ever.

The Commonwealth Games in Manc proved to be a lot more professional and successful than say, London's Millenium Dome and the new Wembley that have swallowed up vast amounts of taxpayers' money. Manchester's Olympic bid might have been a bit more "impressive" :rolleyes: if leading members of the athletics community had actually bothered to support it instead of publicly making snide remarks. If Melbourne and Atlanta can have the Olympics, there's no reason why Manchester couldn't. People can run and jump in the rain, you know.

Sebastian Coe is a tosser! It's clear as day. His Tory allegiances are just the icing on the cake.

"Sebastian Coe is a tosser! It's clear as day. His Tory allegiances are just the icing on the cake. "

He's an effective politician, and succeeded in turning around a bid that was going nowhere thumbsup.gif . Maybe it comes with the territory.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
Sebastian Coe is a tosser! It's clear as day. His Tory allegiances are just the icing on the cake.
Don't think I have ever hear you so passionate.

The entire tube system has been shut this morning and there is not a whole lot of info coming out. Imagine that in Tokyo: the entire subway system just stops. Crazy. I hope this isn't a terrorist event that was strategically (and well) timed for the day after London's Olympic bid victory. Most info has it that it was a power surge, not a bomb.

Can't remember the entire system ever shutting down before. A line or two maybe, but the entire thing? First time I've known..

If it was terrorist dudes, you'd think they'd do it just before the vote yesterday.

From the letters section of an Australian newspaper.

Quote:
How ironic to hear the people of London celebrated with champagne parties when granted the 2012 Olympics in preference to Paris. How would the French have celebrated? With Yorkshire pudding? Bangers and mash? Warm beer?

"It's not hard to tell the difference between a ray of sunshine, and a Scotsman with a grudge" (P G Wodehouse).

Nor, it seems, London based Australians incapable of finding a decent beer. Lange was right: mass emigration to Australia raises the collective IQ of both nations.

I find plenty of good (for me) beer in London. But 'Find' is the key word. You have to seek it out. Can't just lob up at any old bar end expect to get what you want.

Not sure why you bothered with the IQ related punch line.

Yesterday after the bombings I, like most of inner city London, decided to walk home. It was a very pleasant walk and I found parts of London that I liked. I quietly suspect that most inner city Londoners kind of enjoyed yesterday's 'community' walk. I stopped in at 4 bars along the way for a travellers refreshment and said hello to whomever was at the bar. Two of those bars had what I was after and two did not... a predictable random outcome and one that I was happy with. On a day like that, so long as the beer is cold I have no complaints.

It took three hours to get home: 2 hours of walking and one hour of stopping to water the horse. When I eventually arrived at my house I was somewhat pissed off when I found that I had left my keys at the office. With no trains running, no useful buses and certainly no taxis there was no easy way to get back into work to pick up my keys. So I went to the pub and engineered a solution to the problem whilst enjoying some thinking fluid (beer). I drank Löwenbräu out of a pint glass as they had run out of fancy Löwenbräu glasses. After my long walk then denial at the font door of my house I was a little cheered up by the sight of the best sausage I have ever eaten back on the menu after a long absence: duck, beer and cherry sausages. I was also amused to note the special menu that the pub manager had put on: The Chirac menu. It was aimed at pointing out that very good food is available in England.... if you look for it. My local pub is no exception, I love the English food there (but the beer selection blows).

oh yes, I did end the night with a sweet Leffe in a wanky glass.

All this belongs in the beer topic, not the olympics topic.

No softball or baseball? Cant say i care bout that.

I worked for Powerbar during the 1996 Atlanta games and had a Gold pass, meaning I had complete access to every venue and all back-stage areas. It was so awesome walkin around the Olympic village at Georgia Tech.

I was down in Olympic park the night the bomb went off while I was watching *I think* Santana playing that night. Supposedly only a small fraction of the nail bomb was detonated otherwise I mightve ended up like the girl just next to me, with a nail stuck in her leg eek.gif \:\( eek.gif

The biggest joke with the Atlanta games, was a group of people bringing a class-action law suit against the city because they didnt sell as much merchandise as they expected and didnt make any money. WTF? wakaranai.gif