• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

A very important one this. lol.gif

About teabags. I'm not convinced that triangular ones or circular ones are better than the traditional square ones.

So, which shape really "let's the flavour flood out".

?

TEABAGS??!! eek.gif

They are disgusting things best left to Back-Country trips where disposal of real tea leaves is a no go.

Would NEVER use the things in 'civilisation' - a cup of char without tea leaves is SO uncivilised, besides, bags taste crappo.

If ya want the real deal, why not simply try a coffee plunger and use tea leaves instead.

confused.gif

Useless trivia. Teabags were 'invented' when a tea importer had silk bags around the tea leaves. People who bought the tea left the silk bags on when they placed them in the tea pot and found that it was much easier/cleaner. Over time, the material has of course changed from silk and the leaves have been made smaller to improve the rate at which the tea is absorbed by the water.

Quote:
Originally posted by SubZero:
TEABAGS??!! eek.gif

They are disgusting things best left to Back-Country trips where disposal of real tea leaves is a no go.

Would NEVER use the things in 'civilisation' - a cup of char without tea leaves is SO uncivilised, besides, bags taste crappo.

If ya want the real deal, why not simply try a coffee plunger and use tea leaves instead.
confused.gif
Dude, you are stealing my theme! Bravo.

Teabags are for camping or for people with no taste whatsoever. If you like a cup of tea like I do then you dont use teabags. Tea bags reduce the quality in a cup of tea to almost zero... but increases the quantity and value.

To me yes, but I'm a deviant. For breakfast, I brew a pot and drink three mugs. Leaves give a bigger, fuller flavour without the need to make it too strong. I use a pot where the water passes over the leaves, but they don't sit in the tea. A coffee plunger makes an excellent substitute.

I use tea bags in the office but enjoy making tea in a proper way with real tea leaves every morning before going to work.

My favorite is fairtrade organic Darjeering tea. I tried some other organic tea but this fairtrade one is the best!!

I'm not into tea myself but..... isn't what's in teabags just the same as tea leaves that aren't in bags? They're just, er, in bags? This is an honest question! Surely there are some decent tea bags out there?

Hokkaidough : There aren't as far as I know.

It would be possible to put the same in, but currently, they use the smallest tea fragments possible (sometimes referred to as sweepings). They're typically what is left after the loose leaves have been packed.

Because of the small size, there is a very large surface area and this results in the tea infusing very quickly (which is what most people want from a tea bag).

You are right, and I was right in saying what an important topic this was. Some bags are better than others though definitely. Worth hunting out the better bags.