Shandy, indeed. When I worked in France, I found that I could only drink vile French beer if I got the barman to put a dash of lemonade in it. One day my French colleagues formed a committee and approached me. First they apologized for drinking my beer while I was distracted by German girls. Then they asked why my beer always tasted better than theirs...

It is called a shandy here as well. In so far as it doesn't improve upon already shit beer, it tastes like rubbish... and they are quite popular. I encountered a Fosters top in London when I asked for a Fosters (the only cold beer on tap) and instructed politely that it should have a nice 1.5cm of head on top. The barmaid dribbled beer in with no head (I was watching closely) and then stopped pouring an inch before the top. I was perplexed. She then picked up the soda-mixer gun and squired lemonade into it. The quite bar was awoken with an Australian marsupial shrill screaming out "jesus! what the **** are you doing!!?". She thought I asked for a Fosters top, I asked "a Fosters what?". The guy I was with explained. I was gobsmacked. This was almost the straw that broke the camels back.... until I saw, your not going to believe it, stubbies of Crown Lager in the fridge behind the bar. And they were cold! Yipeee!!! I told the barmaid to keep her dribly poured Fosters with lemonade. The God of Beer had heard my cry and swooped down to save me at the last moment. Beer God knew that this was the last straw for me, England was about to turn me into a pub going wine drinker. England almost turned me, but Beer God saved me from leaving his flock. Thankyou Beer God.

>> Head on a beer? Only as thick as a coaster - I want beer, not froth. Nuff said.

You can take the convict out of the mother land, but you cant take the mother land out of the convict.

;\)

Head is an integral feature of beer. I can afford to have 1-2cm of head on my beer as I know that it isn't the last beer that I will ever have. In fact, I know that the bar that I am leaning against will serve me one as soon as I finish the one in my hand. So the need to get 'more beer less head' kind of falls to the side because at any point in time in our modern western society there is, and always will be, more beer. So no need to cram the quantity at the expense of the quality. ;\) A cap of head keeps the beer alive and looking good. It is like a woman, she looks and feels better with a head of hair rather than bald, although proponents of the 'no head on beer' argument would likely prefer a woman to have no hair as it just gets in the way of what you are there for in the first place.... and that does not include sweeping locks of hair off her pretty face. Once again, the same goes for beer.

Beer that traces a beautiful ring-worked lace pattern of drying head all the way to the bottom of the glass is something to enjoy. I think that a mans attitude towards beer reflects his attitude towards women. Some like a warm mug of headless Carling or Fosters tarted up with lemonade, others do not. \:\)

ps - suby, I have had a Fosters here. I had to force myself. In the end it was no worse than any other cheap beer of its ilk. It was actually the only cold one on tap (it is marketed here as the cold beer, like extra cold Guinness). The really painful part was that the glass it came in had fosters written on it with a map of 'stralia. It is one thing to drink Fosters, but that is unnecessary.

> I told the barmaid to keep her dribly poured Fosters with lemonade.

You probably made the poor cow's day there. She's on a 'how to fix up your short black skirt with safety pins' bulletin board telling the story about how she scored a free Fosters top off a hysterical marsupial.

A better place. I've been drinking legally in the UK for over (ahem) 30 years. For all that time, cold beers (lager, keg bitter, bottled beers etc.) have been almost universally available. My IQ jibe was at the "journalist". When confronted with a choice in addition to icy, (cellar temperature, how do you like your red wine sir, chilled with an ice cube?) all brain functions cease, thus initiating the program loop: "Warm beer! Warm beer!....".

Sorry to hear about the difficulties, hope it's all settling down now. Glad you were able to finish the day with a beer which satisfied. It's going to be Bintang for me for the coming week. I'm off with my goil to catch some waves. cool.gif