The FOOTBALL Thread (2005-2006)

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an appaling game, nothing happened. 0-0 as predicted by moi. ;\)

I now have mixed feelings about whether I want Arsenal to win it or not.

The pundits say Barcelona suit Arsenal much more than Milan. Either team will be huge favourites over Arsenal I should think. Arsenal vs Barcelona would be an encounter to look forward to - Henry vs Ronaldinho.

Nice to see Henry's tribute to Stevie Gerrard after the game too - the guy should be a politician!

He hasn't accepted yet. He'll probably demand 33,543,425 million pounds a year and immunity from the sack in the case of doing anything stupid, etc and the FA will probably say "OK Big Phil, if that's what you want".

Comment on him here .

And from another one:

"Combative, provocative, emotional and adventurous, Luiz Felipe Scolari is everything that Sven-Goran Eriksson is not."

At least he's the kind of manager who might be able to make the decision to take Beckham off. (If he's contractually allowed to! lol.gif )

I don't know much about him but do recognise him from Brazil and Euro 2004. He sounds like he's got a bit more fire in him than Sven - lets hope so!

Im sure he will be an improvement on Sven in many ways, he has outwitted Sven twice in major tournaments and is probably smarter in his private life.

Just a shame there are no decent English managers around at the moment.

I also think the Beckham thing will need to be addressed after the World Cup - he is still a greta player and good enough to be in the team, but I feel Gerrard or Terry should be given the armband afdter this tournament. Hopefully he will give it up voluntarily or retire from international football, but I cant see that happening, he will probably try to hang on for Euro2008.

The (soaraway) Sun

"LUIZ FELIPE SCOLARI is demanding a basic £5million a year to become the next England manager.

FA chiefs have offered ‘Big Phil’ £2.5m plus bonuses — and know they are still a long way from agreeing a deal."

Oh dear.

I heard that Sven was on 3m, and that Scholari is currently on nowhere near that in the Portgual job. So he is being a greedy SOB to ask for 5m.

Probably this is just some story invented by a Scholari-hater though.

Someone in the football word being greedy? Surely no! ;\)

I'm surprised they didn't try to keep this quieter until there was some decision.

I think he'd be a big improvement on Sven.

Scolari has turned down the job thanks to the British media lol.gif

Incidentally, I watched the press conference live on Sky Sports News, they made a total hash of it and they must have a rubbish translator as for ten minutes afterwards they weren't sure what he had said, and it seemed he hadnt decided what he was doing. Then I looked on BBC News and it was saying that he stated clearly that he has turned it down, blaming intrustions of privacy.

Dear oh dear.....

"Sven-Goran Eriksson must now decide whether to take the biggest gamble of his time as England manager after it was confirmed Wayne Rooney will be out for six weeks after breaking his foot at Stamford Bridge.

Rooney was stretchered off during Manchester United's 3-0 defeat by Chelsea and, despite the reassurances of Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, who claimed after the game he had been told by United staff Rooney was 'okay', the initial fears as Rooney was taken down the tunnel have now been confirmed.

"Wayne Rooney has fractured the base of the fourth metatarsal on the right foot and he will be out for six weeks," said United in a short statement on Saturday.

Rooney travelled back to Manchester with his team-mates before heading straight to a private hospital in nearby Whalley Range, where the precise extent of his injury was diagnosed.

And, with England's opening World Cup game against Paraguay on June 10 exactly six weeks away, Eriksson's dilemma is now obvious.

I think Rooney will either miss the world cup (like Gerrard did) or play through at half fitness (like Beckham). Either way, a massive massive dissapointment.

I guess its Owen and Crouch up front then, not a total disaster as I think Owen/Rooney has some problems as a partnership. We can still win it! We got the Gerrard power this time.

Congratulations Chelsea. I wish Mourinho could show a little more grace, but I don't suppose he is payed for that.

For me, the winner this season is Liverpool. Great to see them back where they belong, playing with purpose and consistency thumbsup.gif

As long as they don't catch us and we finish 2nd, soubriquet!

I have been impressed with Wigan this year, especially back at the beginning.

Mourinho has no grace, he is devoid of it. I heard he threw his medal into the crowd "because he already has one", and then he was moaning that he was not appreciated enough. Wtf?

Well Jose M. has been saying he isnt that happy, said he thought about leaving chelsea twice this season. i reckon he will not be there come 3 years time. he'll do another season and try to get the champions league. if he wins it, i reckon he will just move on immediately. I think he doesnt get on with the media here and so on, he seems a bit paranoid about it to be honest, always accusing Sky/BBC of being full of 'red' fans in their pundits etc.

We sure need the break, thats for sure. If we dont get 2nd itll be like our players playing for 3 seasons in a row without a break!

Cos last summer we had to play thru in the first stages of champions league, and i believe we will have to again this summer if we get 3rd spot.