The FOOTBALL Thread (2005-2006)

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guardian seems fairly clear on what happened:

"Even by Sir Alex Ferguson's standards there was something remarkably brutal about Keane's final few hours as a United player. Two of the game's most combustible characters came together at United's training ground and by the time they had finished unloading their vitriol it had become clear they would never deal with one another again. Twelve years of mutual respect and admiration had disintegrated.

This was at 9am, the beginning of a long, hectic and tumultuous day. As the rest of Ferguson's players began their preparations for today's game against Charlton Athletic, Keane put his bag in the dressing room, walked up the stairs and knocked on Ferguson's door. United had summoned him the previous night, along with his solicitor Michael Kennedy. Keane had known for two days that he would not be offered a new contract when his present deal expired at the end of the season and now he was about to find out why.

The meeting quickly degenerated into a furious row. Ferguson did not mince his words, accusing Keane of mutinous and unforgivable behaviour. The subject of Keane's now-infamous MUTV interview was brought up. Ferguson made it clear he regardedthe Irishman's criticisms of his team-mates as treacherous. Critically he is then understood to have told Keane he would not continue as captain.

Keane listened at first, bristled with indignation and then returned fire. Backed into a corner, his response was not too dissimilar to his infamous parting shot at Mick McCarthy before walking out of the Republic of Ireland's World Cup squad: "Stick it up yer bollocks."

I actually think it will be a good thing. A bit of shock news though, wonder how they will respond to this. The real story will come out sometime.

That seems a bit sudden. I'm sure Roy will mouth off about it in due course. United really do need to fill that gap though - a gap that seems to have been there since last season for a good part of the time.

Some good games this weekend. A bit miffed Liverpool aren't on a bit more though. Seems now that it is Chelsea, United, Arsenal plus Bolton every week so you only get on if you are playing one of them.

I was hoping you'd win there pie-eater - good try though.

My my it is busy on here today.

scouser, don't complain.... remember you seem to get more over there that we do here in England! I know that doesn't mean much when it's not your team, but you seem to get a lot of it on your tvs over there.

Best was before my time, so I'm not totally up on it all. Seems he meant an awful lot to a lot of people though.

Stayed up until 3am this morning watching the game - terrible 1st half again but really good 2nd half. Any of the other games this weekend good?

I wonder how it would have turned out if Ronaldinho had actually come to the Premiership.

Remember Forlorn Forlan at United? He was the top scorer in Spain last year or something wasn't he? Funny how things like that happen.

Well that would be nice. A bit far for me to go every week though, so.. :p

You went last night? Sounds like it was a decent game.