The FOOTBALL Thread (2005-2006)

Not sure about that one, or whether it was actually even offered/considered. Anyhow just glad he is staying for now, let's see how things go.

Not long now. This time of year sucks. Not only is the weather a git, but there is a total lack of football..... worst time of the year by far.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's this big empty space.

And a friend of mine is going to watch United in Saitama when I'm back in the UK. If I wasn't really really happy at escaping Japan for the summer, I would not be pleased to be missing that.

Total Network Solutions, it is. Very interesting story too.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/european/article298918.ece

I like this quote:

The Sky Sports presenter Jeff Stelling, who does the Saturday football results, has a catchphrase for each TNS victory: "They'll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight." lol.gif

Quote:
Troubled midfielder delivers emphatic performance
Now that's a decent start for him, however unbrilliant the general performance might have been.

Well, I was almost expecting it last year but it came pretty quickly this time a bit of a surprise. This in todays Mirror:

--

PATRICK VIEIRA left Arsenal in tears last night and Arsene Wenger was facing a dressing room revolt following his captain's £13.75million sale to Juventus.

Senior Arsenal players were left stunned and morale was at an "all time low" as Vieira flew to Turin last night. And today the Senaglese-born star signed a five-year deal worth £85,000 a week after finalising personal terms and passing a medical.

Can`t understand that signing at all. What are we going to do with him? Maybe he can work as a sales assistant in Chelsea village.

Will be very interested to see how Arsenal do without Viera, reckon it`ll take a season to adjust. What do you Arsenal fans think?

Not an Arse fan of course but I think it could be a real bad move for him, maybe in a year or two it might have been good but too early.

At City he is basically guaranteed first team football every week, and he'd be the focal point of the team - that's just not going to happen at Chelsea, especially with the likes of Duff and Robben on the wings and others like Joe Cole already established there.

At least he'll get a nicely expanding bank account. Not bad a 400% pay rise is it (especially when you were on friggin 15K a week in the first place wakaranai.gif )

Quote:
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, who is also hoping to spend a further £18m on yet another midfielder Michael Essien, has already warned Wright-Phillips that he could start the season on the sidelines.
I can see there being some very pissed off players at Chelsea in the near future.....

About Viera, like I said I was surprised but not wailing about it.... I thought last season he took a dip (and I've never been his biggest fan) but of course he was the captain, so we'll just have to see what happens....

I can see him on his way to United. Smith to midfield, stickman Saha to somewhere with tail between legs, Owen on United's bench rather than Reals, waiting for an injury.

Seriously though, what are the alternatives?

See we beat AC Milan yesterday. Not a bad start.

Todays papers are funny.... take your pick from one of these:

Roy Keane is set to reject a new contract with Manchester United in the wake of an alleged row with manager Sir Alex Ferguson. (The Sun/Daily Mirror/Daily Mail)

Keane could be stripped of the captaincy. (Daily Express)

Sir Alex Ferguson is planning clear-the-air talks with his skipper after United return from their Far East tour. (The Guardian)

Keane and Sir Alex will make up. (The Times)

Anyone else read Keanos book. Very interesting. I bet he'll make it even more interesting when he retires and can say more.

-------------------

Avenges tackle by Manchester City's Alf Inge Haaland. 'I'd waited long enough,' he later wrote in his autobiography. 'I hit him hard. Take that, you c***.'

-------------------