The FOOTBALL Thread (2005-2006)

Well, the fixtures for the 05/06 Premiership season are out today, so time for the new footie thread to be born.

New Season, New Thread!

-------------------------------

Tons of previous footie talk for the 04/05 season can be found here in "The Ultimate FOOTBALL Thread (04/05)".

-------------------------------

PREMIERSHIP KICK-OFF 13th August

Arsenal v Newcastle

Aston Villa v Bolton

Everton v Man Utd

Fulham v Birmingham

Man City v West Brom

Middlesbrough v Liverpool

Portsmouth v Tottenham

Sunderland v Charlton

West Ham v Blackburn

Wigan v Chelsea

>>>>>>

I was hoping for a home fixture (I might have been able to go), but no luck on that one....

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

\:D So predictions people:

a)Champions League winner

b)Top 3 premiership places

c)Relegated

d)FA Cup

I`d have to go for:

a)Chelsea (I hope more than think)

b)Chelsea (if we don`t get fined too many points shifty.gif ), then Arsenal, then Liverpool

c) Get vertigo so can`t look that far down :p

d)Man U

Yes, but Newcastle are in the INTERTOTO ! It means we get a meaningful preseason. We got off to a great start in the league the last time we entered.

lol.gif

Knowing our current luck, we'll just pick up injuries or have another barney on the pitch.

Predictions

CL Another dark horse from one of the better leagues

Prem

Chelsea

Arse

ManYoo

Liverpool/Spurs?

Relegated

Wigan

Baggies (shame coz great fans)

W Ham

FA Cup

Toon

Obviously I want United to win stuff. I think (and hope!) it'll be a better year for them with a decent keeper and this new Park bloke. But maybe not good enough. Hopefully our incredibly amazing world-class strikers will also be able to, er, score some goals!!!

A lot will depend also on movements in the other teams - who goes and who comes. That's not clear yet.

Anyway, this is what I think.

Champions League

No idea. Probably some "foreign team" (excluding Arsenal) ;\) ;\)

Premiership

1 Chelsea

2 Man Utd

3 Arsenal

FA Cup

Man Utd or Chelsea

"Champions League holders Liverpool will begin the defence of their title with a two-leg tie against Welsh champions Total Network Solutions."

Welsh Champions.

Scary.

I think United will be stronger - esp in the CL (but won't win it) - but Chelsea will be hard to beat.

Premiership:

- Chelsea;

- United;

- Liverpool.

FA Cup:

It will be ours again after the injustice of last month.

I didn't like Durso, I'll be glad to not notice him again. Refs should not be noticed. Unless their name is Collina, or that weird European dude with the big hair, chains and tan.

After reading this......

People make fun of American football and its fanatics????? ;\)

Are there more specific sites you fans visit for more detailed discussions on strategy and so forth?

I participate in two forums for my alma mater's American football team, and things get pretty detailed there. A lot of X's and O's.

Fans of opposing teams can have some pretty heated exchanges. I imagine the same thing for 'soccer' elsewhere. I'd say the same for hockey, but hardly any Canadians know how to type :p

Great Man Utd forum:

http://www.redcafe.net/forum.php?

Yep there sure is a lot of discussion going on. (A lot if it right now hatred directed at a certain Glazer family).

I think you'll find all the big clubs have them. Non-specific club forums tend to just overrun with fans from other clubs just mouthing off at each other.

Actually, does anyone know if a quality "general footie" forum?

Quote:
Originally posted by giggsy:
Great Man Utd forum:
http://www.redcafe.net/forum.php?

Yep there sure is a lot of discussion going on. (A lot if it right now hatred directed at a certain Glazer family).

I think you'll find all the big clubs have them. Non-specific club forums tend to just overrun with fans from other clubs just mouthing off at each other.

Actually, does anyone know if a quality "general footie" forum?
Sounds exactly like the US college football forums. And basketball. And baseball.

They basically exist so us sports fans with no redeeming qualities can waste time at our jobs. \:\)

I spend wayyy too much time on my college's athletic forum. One of my best friends runs it, so I feel obligated I guess.