Anyone else getting calls today that their cards are now useless for a week until they send a new one?

I just got a call from my visa people who waffled on for about 10 minutes before actually getting to the point. Basically "we'd like to ask you if you would please change your credit card number". It was only when I asked them if I had a choice, and they said "No" that I realised that I had no choice in the matter. And also it seems that I can't use the card I have now until the new one arrives. Why the hell they didn't just tell me that in the first place, I hate the way sometimes "the point" never gets said. mad.gif

And I was going to use it tomorrow on a big purchase. Bollox.

Think its to do with the credit card fraud from USA at the moment which has affected a whole heap of companies here. So far lost about 30million yen or something i heard on the news today.

Got a call this morning as well, need a new card, current one void as of today. I know what you mean oblivion about them not getting to the point. When she first talked it sounded to me like there was an option, but there wasn't.

Data on 46,000 Visa-linked cardholders feared leaked: METI

(Kyodo) _ Data on some 46,000 holders of credit cards issued by 12 companies in Japan in alliance with Visa International Inc. may have been leaked, officials of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry said Wednesday.

The latest finding following the theft of card data from a U.S. data-processing company helped clarify the magnitude of information leakage in Japan, with the situation at firms tied up with MasterCard International Inc. and JCB Co. already known.

METI reported Tuesday that data on 21,000 holders of cards issued by 26 Japanese firms in partnership with MasterCard might have been leaked from the U.S. company CardSystems Solutions.

JCB said Tuesday 31 holders of cards issued by itself and its group firms including banks are among those whose data may have been stolen.

In Japan, about 260 million credit cards had been issued as of the end of fiscal 2003 through March 31, 2004. Half of those cards were estimated to be linked with MasterCard or Visa.

The ministry has been asking Japanese card companies about possible losses resulting from abuse of the stolen card data, the officials said.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shimba:
so has anyone with a credit cards from overseas (for example... new zealand...) been contacted by their bank? i just had a new card sent out a few months ago, and the courier charge to japan isn't that cheap!
They charged you for that? Geez, getting tight aren't they!
Mine just sent me it in the post!

Hum.. no not yet. I have not gotten any calls from my credit companies. Does it matter where you used you credit cards while the fraud was happenning?

In a news TV program yesterday, 2 examples were reported and both of them used their credit cards in U.S.A.

I got my DC visa number changed last year after a balls up where I read in the news that a number of people's info may have been compromised. They didn't contact me, I called them and asked them to give me a new number.

Hmmm, I hope I don't have to go thru this again. I haven't heard or received anything from them yet as far as I know.

Got a friend with a card from the same bank who has had his cancelled and he has to have a new one - but I'Ve heard nothing. Leaves me wondering how they are choosing who to give new ones to as a precaution?

scouser : my understanding is that you have to have done transactions in the US.

Even so, it is up to the bank to decide if they want to alert customers as to whether their personal information / CC numbers have been stolen.

This morning a letter from DC card was delivered to my door. Of course it's all in nihongo, but I bet it's what you're all describing here. I'll call them later on to double check.